News for and about the Illinois Wesleyan community
Monday, Dec. 2
• 12:10 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Non-Org: Developing Writing and Information Literacy Goals for Majors – Faculty from departments that received Mellon Grants last summer will share their work on developing rubrics for writing and/or information literacy in their majors. The departments include psychology, economics and the English Department's creative writing track.
• 4 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, Dec. 3
Deadline for Winter Break Key Requests – Last day for students to request a winter break key from the Office of Residential Life at no charge.
• 12:15 p.m., Hansen Student Center – AMA Hosts Dave Kaplan of Comcast Sportsnet – Bring a lunch and listen.
• 6:30 p.m., Turfler Room, Memorial Center – Hanukkah Dinner – Sponsored by IWU Hillel.
Wednesday, Dec. 4
• 11 a.m., Evelyn Chapel – A Messiah Sing-A-Long
• 7 p.m., Underground (below the Dugout), Memorial Center – Christmas Card Making for MarcFirst – The National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) student organization will be making cards and collecting presents for the residents of MarcFirst's group homes. You can help by making cards with us, or if you're feeling extra philanthropic, donate a present. Appropriate gifts include hand lotions, gift cards, hair products, body wash, etc.
Thursday, Dec. 5
• 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., Joyce Eichhorn Ames School of Art Building – Student & Faculty Art Sale. Also on Friday, Dec. 6.
• 4 p.m., Evelyn Chapel basement – ReligiosiTEA
• 6 p.m., Turfler Room, Memorial Center – Kwanzaa Dinner – Sponsored by the Black Student Union.
• 7 p.m., Beckman Auditorium, The Ames Library – International Film Series: "Joyeux Noel" (2005, France/ Germany), presented by Visiting Assistant Professor of German Adam Woodis.
• 8 p.m., Center Court, Hansen Student Center – All Campus Christmas – DRL (Death,Resurrection, Life) will host a Christmas event for all students to come and celebrate the holiday season. Anyone is welcome for a night of music fellowship and a sermon by Brady Zimmer '14.
Friday, Dec. 6
Last day of classes
• 12 p.m., Center Court, Hansen Student Center – Annual Cookie Bakeoff sponsored by Wellness.
• 4 p.m., CNS C101 – Natural Science Colloquium – Janine Kwapis of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee will present "Modifying Memories: Using Retrieval to Change the Neural Circuit That Stores Memory," hosted by Assistant Professor of Psychology Abbie Kerr.
• 7:30 p.m., Westbrook Auditorium, Presser Hall – Student Composition Concert
Saturday, Dec. 7
• 10 a.m., Shirk Center Indoor Track – Track and Field will host the Titan First Chance Meet.
• 1-5 p.m., Center Court, Hansen Student Center – Haiyan Typhoon Relief 2013 – The Tinikling Dance Group is partnering with the Bloomington-Normal Filipino American Community to continue to raise funds for the victims of typhoon Haiyan. There will be musical entertainment, dances from the Tinikling Dance Group, silent auction of goods and services, and making of "parol" (Filipino Christmas lanterns). Light refreshments will be served. A $20 donation per adult is requested at the door; a commemorative T-shirt will be given at the door.
• 3 p.m., Westbrook Auditorium, Presser Hall – Senior Recital: Hayley Robinson, Soprano
• 7 p.m., Shirk Center – Men's Basketball vs. Washington University; the game will be live streamed.
Sunday, Dec. 8
• 3 p.m., Holy Trinity Church (704 N. Main St., Bloomington) – Christmas Choral Concert – See details below.
• 8 p.m., Evelyn Chapel – Light the Night: A Multicultural Celebration of the Season of Light
Monday, Dec. 9
Reading Day (NO CLASSES)
• 12 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Author Chat with Quintin Overocker – Join author and Associate Registrar Quintin Overocker as he reads a selection from his self-published novel, Bad Ground. Then join us for questions and conversation about the work, the author's choices around characterization and plotting, and what it all means! Participants are encouraged to enjoy the book beforehand (available at the IWU Bookstore or Amazon.com: http://goo.gl/OlHcXK).
There will be cookies!
• 6 p.m., Young Main Lounge, Memorial Center – Madrigal Dinner
• 10-11 p.m., Bertholf Commons, Memorial Center – Late Night Breakfast – Refuel for Finals: Members of the IWU administration will serve students a late night breakfast, courtesy of IWU Dining Services.
> Find more IWU events on the Campus Calendar.
Don't see your event? Submit the information online.
2013 IWU Christmas Choral Concert
Sunday, Dec. 8
Holy Trinity Church (704 N. Main St., Bloomington)
Welcome the holiday season with an afternoon of superb choral music! The Illinois Wesleyan University School of Music will present its annual Christmas Choral Concert, featuring the Illinois Wesleyan University Collegiate Choir, Chamber Singers, and University Choir, conducted by Scott Ferguson and Jonathan Green, and guest choirs, Sterling High School Varsity Choir and Cantus Choir, conducted by Melissa Mondell and Jacob Cox.
The program will include compositions by Monteverdi, Guerrero, Willan, Mathias, Houkom, V. Williams, Howells, Reger, Green, and others. Ticket prices are $10 for general admission, $5 for senior citizens and IWU alumni, and $2 for students. IWU faculty and staff are entitled to two tickets with their IWU ID. Tickets are available at the Music Office in Presser Hall, beginning this afternoon (Monday, Dec. 2) or at the door.
Honorary Degree Nominations
Reminder: Honorary Degree Nominations should be submitted to the president no later than this Friday, Dec. 6. More information
Flexible Spending Accounts - Election for 2014
You should have received your Flex Spending election form at home last week. Please remember to return your form to the Human Resources Office by Tuesday, Dec. 10. If you have questions or need help completing your form, please contact Marie Giusti at ext. 3971.
Reminder - Holiday Lunch
Friday, Dec. 13
Young Main Lounge, Memorial Center
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 3540 by Monday, Dec. 9. Your RSVP will automatically enter you in the gift drawing.
Snow and Ice Procedures
Note: The Correct Phone Number for Security is 556-1111
As we are approaching the snow and ice season, the Physical Plant would like to review the procedures for getting ice and snow removal work orders to us. Please do not put those requests into SchoolDude. Please call us at the Physical Plant at 556-3066 during our regular hours: Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, please call Security at 556-1111 for an emergency, and they will contact someone from Physical Plant.
Banales '14 Named Lincoln Laureate
Senior Josi Banales was selected as Illinois Wesleyan University's recipient of the 2013 Lincoln Academy of Illinois Student Laureate Award.
Five players scored in double figures en route to a women's basketball win over Illinois College in the third-place game of the 2013 Midwest Challenge in Greencastle, Ind., on Sunday, Dec. 1.
> Find highlights at
Titans In The News
Daniel LaRocca '13, who manages Wesleyan's Mark Evans Observatory, discussed a comet expected to appear in our skies.
The (Palm Springs, Calif.) Desert Sun
Scott Moreau '01 plays Johnny Cash in the national touring production of "Million Dollar Quartet."
Professor of History Michael Weis discussed President John F. Kennedy's "compelling relationship" with Latin America.
Professor Emeritus Paul Bushnell discussed the civil rights legacy of JFK, as the nation marked 50 years from his assassination.
In the latest exhibit by Chicago painter Renee McGinnis '84, "sunken ships emerge like angels in a dramatic blend of sea and sky."
> More Titans in the News
• Josh Conrad '12 has self-published an ebook, CyberWorld: The Legend of Alaxeria.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
Environmental Studies Senior Seminar –
Environmental Studies seniors have worked all semester individually developing and conducting research related to an aspect of environmental sustainability – in consultation with a local community partner – and have prepared a presentation on their findings.
Community briefings will be offered on Dec. 3 and Dec. 9. More information.
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
Too Much Sitting A Health Hazard
A growing body
of research suggests that excessive time spent
sitting can have very harmful cardiovascular and metabolic effects, whether or
not someone otherwise achieves recommended physical activity targets.
Read more from the November Healthwise Newsletter.
Explore Wesleyan in Videos
Goal: $125 million
Progress: $118.5 million
Updated November 2013
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, email email@example.com.