News for and about the Illinois Wesleyan community
Tuesday, Nov. 26
• 7 p.m., Shirk Center – Men's Basketball vs. Wabash; the game will be live streamed.
6 p.m. through 8 a.m. Monday, Dec. 2 – Thanksgiving Recess
> Thanksgiving Break hours for Ames, Shirk, Fort Natatorium and Campus Dining Services
Sunday, Dec. 1
• 6 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Student Senate General Assembly Meeting
Monday, Dec. 2
• 12:10 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Non-Org: Developing Writing and Information Literacy Goals for Majors – Faculty from departments that received Mellon Grants last summer will share their work on developing rubrics for writing and/or information literacy in their majors. The departments include psychology, economics and the English Department's creative writing track.
• 4 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Faculty Meeting
> Find more IWU events on the Campus Calendar.
Don't see your event? Submit the information online.
Monday, Nov. 25
• 4 p.m., Welcome Center Auditorium – Creating and Owning Your Own Company – Alumnus Patrick Seaton '87, the founder and president of Innovative Management Tools LLC, will share the paradoxes, myths and perceptions of what it takes to own your own international company.
Tuesday, Nov. 26
• Employer Travelers Insurance will be on campus for interviews.
Megan Smeets '17 is working to bring the campus together and donate as a Wesleyan community to help victims of the tornado in Washington. Donation tables will be set up at Sodexo and CNS from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. this Monday and Tuesday, or you can contribute online. All funds will be donated to the Red Cross of the Heartland to aid recovery efforts in Washington.
Snow and Ice Procedures
As we are approaching the snow and ice season, the Physical Plant would like to review the procedures for getting ice and snow removal work orders to us. Please do not put those requests into SchoolDude. Please call us at the Physical Plant at 556-3066 during our regular hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, please call Security at 556-1111 for an emergency, and they will contact someone from Physical Plant.
Key Requests Update
The policy has changed for requesting keys and/or core changes. All requests for keys or core changes should be entered into SchoolDude by the Key Coordinator for the building from which the keys are being requested. If you are not sure who the Key Coordinator is, please contact the Physical Plant at 556-3066.
SchoolDude Update: Emergencies
Actual emergencies such as fire, water gushing out of a pipe, gas smell, lockouts and extreme temperature changes when there are extreme temperatures outside should be called into the Physical Plant instead of being entered into SchoolDude. Call us at the Physical Plant at 556-3066 during our regular hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, please call Security at 556-1111 for an emergency, and they will contact someone from Physical Plant.
If you are entering a work order into SchoolDude that is a priority for you, but not an emergency, please change the status to high.
Author Chat with Quintin Overocker
Monday, Dec. 9 (Reading Day)
Davidson Room, Memorial Center
Join author and Associate Registrar Quintin Overocker as he reads a selection from his self-published novel, Bad Ground. Then join us for questions and conversation about the work, the author's choices around characterization and plotting, and what it all means! Participants are encouraged to enjoy the book beforehand (Available at the IWU Bookstore or Amazon.com: http://goo.gl/OlHcXK).
There will be cookies!
International Office Director Stacey Shimizu presented at DIS Abroad's International Educators Workshop, held Nov. 4-8 in Copenhagen, as part of a plenary panel discussion on "Integrating Worlds: Off-Campus Study in the 21st Century."
• Professor of Physics Gabe Spalding gave the Invited Talk at the Fall Meeting of the Chicago Section of the American Association of Physics Teachers on Nov. 16. Spalding's talk was titled, "Updating Lab Curricula."
• Professor of English Dan Terkla gave a lecture, "Medieval English mappaemundi: Victorine model and idiosyncratic copies," on Nov. 21 as part of the Oxford Seminars in Cartography at Oxford University's Bodleian Library.
• Jim Dohren '66 is the author of a new book, Letters from a Shoebox, published by Sunbury Press.
• Tim McAtee '00 has been promoted to vice president for consumer research & product development for the IPG Lab. He was featured in a Bay Area NBC news segment related to his work.
McAtee has also self-published, The Hipsters: A Novel. Read it before it's cool.
• Brooke Trantor '11 (who was featured in the winter 2012 IWU Magazine) will perform in the Second City Hollywood hit show "Undateable" on Dec. 6 and 13.
• On the sesquicentennial of the Gettysburg address, students in the courses "Reading and Writing Culture," and "Spanish for Social Justice" recited Lincoln's famous speech in front of the Hedding Bell in both Spanish and English. See the Hispanic Studies blog entry from Byron S. Tucci Professor of Hispanic Studies Carolyn Nadeau.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
• Student athletes and coaches volunteered to help with cleanup in the aftermath of the tornado in Washington.
> Find highlights at
Titans In The News
The Wrap - Covering Hollywood
Who has greenlight power in Hollywood? Wesleyan alumnus Bill Damaschke '85, for one.
Illinois Wesleyan alumni and other Illinois college alums in Washington, D.C., joined in a fundraising event for Washington, Illinois tornado victims.
Professors Michael Weis and Nancy Sultan offered insights into the memory of JFK, 50 years after his assassination.
Lincoln impersonator Jim Getty '54 delivered the Gettysburg address on its 150th anniversary, standing where Lincoln stood. Getty also was featured on the BBC.
(Milwaukee) Journal Sentinel
Adjunct faculty member in the School of Theatre Arts Michael Cotey brought "an infusion of young blood" to the Milwaukee theatre scene with the Youngblood Theatre Company.
The (Cincinnati) Enquirer
Charles Tournear '86 has joined dunnhumbyUSA as associate director, responsible for managing and maintaining database servers.
> More Titans in the News
America Recycles Day
Hundreds of recyclable items were dropped off at Illinois Wesleyan's campus as part of the Mega Recycling Event for America Recycles Day on Nov. 16, as reported by WEEK/HOI-19 TV.
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
Annual Cookie Bakeoff and Exchange
Friday, Dec. 6
Hansen Center Court
To enter the Cookie Bakeoff, please contact Wellness by Dec. 4 at ext. 3334 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enjoy the cookies (with milk) and cast a vote for your favorite, come to Hansen during the noon hour on Dec. 6!
Explore Wesleyan in Videos
Goal: $125 million
Progress: $118.5 million
Updated November 2013
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, email email@example.com.