News for and about the Illinois Wesleyan community
Monday, Aug. 19
Final day for International Student Orientation, MALANA Pre-Orientation and the Engaging Diversity pre-orientation programs.
4:30 Office Hours -- Campus Offices will resume regular office hours.
Tuesday, Aug. 20 - Sunday, Aug. 25
Turning Titan: New Student Orientation --
Highlights include a kickoff event with Live Band Karaoke at 9 p.m. Tuesday, and the return of hypnotist Frederick Winters at 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 23, both at the Hansen Student Center.
Friday, Aug. 23
• 8 a.m., Young Main Lounge and Joslin Atrium, Memorial Center -- Faculty and Staff Breakfast -- A breakfast buffet for faculty and staff will be followed by annual remarks from President Richard F. Wilson. The 2013 Max L. Starkey Staff Award recipient will also be announced.
Saturday, Aug. 24
Returning Students Arrive
• 6 p.m., Hansen Student Center -- Titan Carnival: Family Zone -- Faculty and staff are invited to join the fun at the Titan Carnival from 6-8 p.m., ending at 8 p.m. when students take their turn at the carnival.
Monday, Aug. 26
First day of classes
• 8 a.m., Kemp Commencement Plaza, State Farm Hall -- State Farm Hall Ribbon Cutting -- The campus community is invited to a ribbon cutting ceremony at State Farm Hall, followed by a continental breakfast and tours inside the new classroom building.
Campus offices may close until 8:30 a.m. to allow staff to attend.
> Find more events on the Campus Calendar.
New Office Locations
The Office of Student Activities and Leadership Programs has moved from the Hansen Student Center into the Memorial Center, Room 167, formerly home to the International Office. The International Office has moved to CLA 324 and 322.
As previously announced, the Mellon Center has moved to the third floor of CLA, and the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment has moved to 209 Shaw.
Photographer Marc Featherly will be set up to take portraits of faculty and staff on Thursday, Aug. 22, in the Turfler Room, Memorial Center. If you need your photo taken, please contact him to schedule an appointment, ext. 3217 or email@example.com
• Professor of French Chris Callahan presented a paper at the 14th Triennial Congress of the International Courtly Literature Society (ICLS) in Lisbon, Portugal, where he was re-elected secretary/treasurer of the North American Branch of the ICLS.
Callahan also has been named to the Study in France Committee of the U.S. Student Fulbright National Screening Committee for a three-year term.
• Chair and Professor of Hispanic Studies Christina Isabelli presented a conference workshop entitled "Spanish heritage language learners in Spanish as a second language class" at the 2013 Middlebury College Conference on Pedagogy for Spanish as a Second Language in Middlebury, Vt., July 15-18.
• Scholarly Communications Librarian Stephanie Davis-Kahl was named a 2013 Institutional Repository (IR) All-Star by bepress, "because of her early vision and compelling advocacy for the value of student research in the IR, and specifically for student-edited journals." With platforms including Digital Commons, bepress offers hosted institutional repositories and scholarly publishing services.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
First Students Chosen as Mellon Scholars
Mallika Kavadi '15 and Joseph O'Brien '14 pursued research as Mellon Summer Scholars under the mentorship of faculty members, thanks to a grant from the Mellon Foundation.
It's a Small World When You're a Titan
From remote mountaintops -- to job interviews -- to the world's busiest pedestrian intersection in Tokyo, Titans shared the most unexpected places they've found each other.
• The first-ever WeishFest, a benefit for the Andrew Weishar Foundation, will be held on Sept. 1 at Standard Bank Stadium in Crestwood, Ill., raising money to support families who have teenagers with cancer. The event honors Weishar, a former IWU football player who died last October.
> Find more highlights at
All in For Wesleyan Results:
2,500 alumni and friends of the University went "All In for Wesleyan" on July 17, raising $480,000 in the one-day giving challenge.
Titans In The News
William Powers '64, internationally recognized operatic bass-baritone, is directing the upcoming production of Verdi's La Traviata for Oak Park's
Verismo Opera Company. Powers' concept places the action in Frank Lloyd Wright's 1910 Oak Park rather than the usual setting of Paris in 1850.
Beach Lewis Chair of Biology Given Harper discussed the drop in monarch butterflies observed this year.
Charlene Carruthers '07 of the Black Youth Project discussed the Trayvon Martin protests and U.S. race relations in this July 21 video clip.
> More Titans in the News
Single-Stream Recycling Comes to IWU
This summer, IWU has changed recycling contractors and can now offer single-stream recycling on campus. You no longer need to separate paper and containers, but rather you can place all recyclable materials into one bin.
In the public areas, you can place plastic, glass, aluminum, and paper into the bins marked "Single Stream."
See a list of acceptable containers and paper items.
In your office, you can still use the paper boxes previously used "for paper only" for all recyclable materials. If you would like a new recycling container for your office, please contact Dale Conover in Physical Plant (firstname.lastname@example.org) and he will arrange for a new container to be delivered.
If you have any questions or comments about the program, please feel free to contact Carl Teichman (email@example.com)
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
Check out the Wellness website for information on fall workshops, the fitness schedule and more.
Welcome New Employees
Patrick Schroeder began Aug. 12 as custodian in Physical Plant. He replaces Homer Calhoun, who retired.
Eileen Galvez began Aug. 14 as assistant director of Multicultural Student Affairs. She replaces Tonya Daniel.
The International Office welcomes Jacqelyn LaMaire in a temporary position as a study abroad advisor.
> Find current IWU job openings.
Explore Wesleyan in Videos
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, or to unsubscribe, email firstname.lastname@example.org.