Friday, Aug. 16 - Monday, Aug. 19 -- International Student Orientation
Saturday, Aug. 17 - Monday, Aug. 19 -- MALANA Pre-Orientation
Saturday, Aug. 17 - Monday, Aug. 19 -- Engaging Diversity pre-orientation program
> See summer hours for campus facilities, including dining locations, The Ames Library, Shirk Center and Fort Natatorium.
> Find more events on the Campus Calendar.
Sneak Preview of the Dugout
Faculty and staff are invited to a "soft opening" of the newly renovated Dugout this week. Tommy's will be closed for lunch Aug. 12-16, while new Dugout stations will be open daily for you to try:
- Monday: Souper Salad (specialty soups and salads)
- Tuesday: Passport (international)
- Wednesday: Cactus Café (burrito bowl)
- Thursday: Souper Salad
- Friday: Passport
• General Biology Lab Coordinator Nisa Blackmon presented a three-day, pre-conference workshop entitled, "Tab Construction and Folding Techniques for Enameled Forms," at the 2013 Biannual International Conference of The Enamelist Society in Covington, Ky., July 31 - Aug. 4. She presented two breakout sessions on the same topic during the conference.
Blackmon also presented this workshop in February to students in the Metal Program at the School of Art & Design, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
• An interview with Professor of History Thomas Lutze was featured in a documentary, The Great Turning Point, which aired on Chinese national television (CCTV) and on Hebei provincial television in a series of segments in July. The film examines the history of the final three decisive years of China's revolutionary civil war, 1947-1949, through documentary photos, film footage, and interviews with surviving participants and historians, both Chinese and foreign.
A photo from the taping (scroll to the end of the page at
shows Lutze being interviewed, accompanied by two of his research assistants,
Kong Yelei '13 -- now beginning law school at Columbia University -- and Peng Siming '16.
• Matthew T. Dearing '00, co-producer of dynamic patterns theatre, announced the first production in a new Science at the Theatre Series, QED: A Play, depicting a day in the life of Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
• Nick Anderson '14 is providing updates of the Titan men's basketball trip to Costa Rica, through Aug. 16.
> Find more highlights at
Goal: $125 million
Progress: $114.74 million
(As of 7/10/13)
Titans In The News
Elizabeth Lanza '07 was named among the "Top 10 Hot New Faces of Chicago Theater." (A version of the story with photos is viewable with a free online subscription.)
Illinois Wesleyan is welcoming a record number of international students this fall. Also reported by WJBC Radio.
Final work on State Farm Hall is ahead of schedule for the first day of classes.
As an intern at the West Bloomington Revitalization Project, Todd Anderson '14 is leading a photo archive project launched by recent grad Jennifer Long '13. The project was also reported by WGLT Radio.
Former Titan football player Andrew Weishar, who died of cancer last fall, will be honored at a "Weish Fest" benefit on Sept. 1.
> More Titans in the News
Single Stream Recycling Is In Effect
You may now recycle containers and paper in one bin.
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
Sign Up for Fall Fitness Classes
The 2013 fall fitness class schedule begins on Aug. 19.
Register here. (You will need your IWU NetID and password.)
If you have an immediate family member(s) who would like to participate and they have never registered for fitness classes online, have them contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to retiring faculty and administrative staff noted previously, employees retiring in 2013 include Gaye Bailey, Homer Calhoun, Judy Ekstam, Warren Johnson and Elsa Rodriguez.
> Find current IWU job openings.
Explore Wesleyan in Videos
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, or to unsubscribe, email email@example.com.