Once you arrive in your host country, settle in, start classes, and begin navigating your way around your new home, don't completely lose touch with home. Remember to:
- Contact the International Office and provide your study abroad mailing address.
- Notify your advisor and the International Office about any changes to your proposed schedule and to seek approval from the appropriate department chair, school director, or General Education director for any new classes you wish to use to fulfill a degree requirement.
- Keep in touch! Let us know how you are doing--tell us what's amazing, what's going well, and what's not so good. And feel free to send pictures for our photo page.
Registrering for classes from abroad
To register for IWU courses from abroad, you will need to consult with you academic advisor via e-mail. You will be sent a notice from the International Office via e-mail about the dates for academic advising. When advising begins, you will be able to see the course selections on the web via My.IWU; if you cannot access the online program, contact the Registrar's Office to request that a PDF version be sent to you via email.
Please see the Academic Calendar page for advising and registration dates.
Because you are off campus, you will need to choose your courses and contact your advisor to have those courses approved prior to your registration. Your advisor can then send you your registration PIN, and you can then register yourself online.
You are also strongly encouraged to complete an electronic Course Registration Form, which the International Office will send you during advising. The International Office and Registrar's Office will use that information if you are unable to register yourself from abroad.
Registration for Spring 2016
The advising process for spring semester 2016 will begin on Wednesday, October 21; general registration for spring semester 2016 will run from Wednesday, November 4, through Wednesday, November 11. Students currently abroad will be responsible for registering themselves but will be given access to the registration system on Sunday, November 1.
Guidelines for registration from abroad are outlined below. Please note that abroad students are required to complete an online Course Registration Form, which will be sent to students by email.
The Program of Classes will be available on the web via My.IWU on Wednesday, October 21. To access the PDF program of classes, go to the student tab on My.IWU and the link is called "2015-16 General Program of Classes Information" or access the Schedule of Classes on My.IWU.
- Login to my.iwu.edu
- Click on "Students" tab
- Click on "Look-Up Classes to Add"
- Choose the correct term and click "Submit Term"
- Click on "Advanced Search"
- Complete the search criteria (e.g., subject, course attribute, etc.) and click "Get Classes"
- To see course comments, including prerequisites, instructor approval, and cross-listed courses, click on the "CRN"
To register for IWU courses from abroad, students will need to do the following:
- Consult with you academic advisor via email (we also recommend that you CC the International Office at firstname.lastname@example.org on this message). Because you are off campus, you will need to choose your courses and contact your advisor to have those courses approved prior to your registration and to get your registration PIN. We suggest you do this as soon as possible.
- Complete the online Course Registration Form, which will be sent to you by email. Remember to include your registration PIN on this form.
- Registration for study abroad students will open at 8:00 am CST on November 1. You may go online anytime after that and register yourself using your PIN.
- If you have difficulty registering yourself, please contact the International Office.
Students are encouraged to reach out to their advisors in the early days of advising.
Looking for Housing from Abroad
If you wish to return to campus housing after you study abroad, you will need to arrange this before the end of your abroad program. The Office of Residential Life (ORL) recommends that students planning to study abroad consider, in advance of their departure, their plans for living either on or off campus when they return to IWU.
For students who will be abroad during the fall and return to campus housing in the spring, ORL will contact you in late October or early November about the online housing selection process. You will be provided with a list of open beds on campus: these spaces are assigned on a first-come-first-served basis, so you should respond quickly. If you have a friend on campus with whom you would like to room and there are available rooms with two spaces on the ORL list, you can both request the move.
For students who will be abroad during the spring and return to campus housing the following fall, you will need to be aware of the housing lottery process, which takes place in March. During this process, students will need to complete an online application, make roommate requests, and select a room. All three steps are completed online, so students must have Internet access during this time frame. ORL will send email updates to all students when this process begins.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Residential Life.