Student Travel Abroad Insurance
IWU students studying abroad are required to have adequate study abroad health insurance.
Many of our affiliated programs provide such insurance, as do the IWU London and IWU
Madrid programs. If your program does not provide study abroad insurance, IWU will
automatically purchase Student Travel Abroad Insurance from EIIA for you at a cost
of $45 per month for the duration of the program and the cost will be added to your
IWU bill. If your program provides study abroad insurance, it is your responsibility
to provide evidence of this to the International Office, otherwise you will be charged
for the EIIA insurance.
The EIIA Student Travel Abroad Plan is designed to cover students participating in
educational activities outside of the United States. It comes with a $100,000 medical
benefit for accidents or sickness, including mental health coverage and coverage of
existing conditions after 3 months. In addition, the Student Travel Abroad Plan provides
emergency assistance services through Assist America (AAI).
The assistance services provided through AAI include:
- Pre-Trip Information: AAI provides online access to travel-related information such
as visa and immunization requirements and security advisories for the destination
- Medically Supervised Repatriation: AAI arranges for transport of the participant back
to their legal address or to a rehabilitation facility when hospitalization exceeds
15 days and the participant has been stabilized for travel.
- Return of Mortal Remains: If a participant dies while traveling, AAI will locate a
funeral home to prepare the deceased for transport, procure the required documentation
and provide the necessary and approved shipping container for transport.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation: When an appropriate medical facility is not available
locally, AAI will transport the participant to the nearest facility capable of providing
the appropriate medical care.
- Transportation to Join Patient: AAI will bring a family member to the place of hospitalization
when a participant is traveling alone and requires hospitalization for more than 7
- Critical Care Monitoring: AAI’s team of doctors, nurses and other medical personnel
will stay in communication with the participant’s family and the institution during
- Medical Consultation and Referrals: AAI has medical staff available 24/7 for consultation
- Emergency Trauma Counseling: AAI provides immediate access to trained counselors for
For more information on the coverage provided through the Student Travel Assistance
Program, contact the International Office.