Moving Off Campus

All students are expected to live in University housing for at least six semesters.  Semesters spent living in residence halls, fraternity or sorority chapter houses, or off-campus study programs will accrue towards the six semester expectation.  Students who have accrued six semesters of housing history are eligible to apply to live off-campus.  For students who transfer to IWU, the campus housing expectation will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis using academic standing and records of housing history at previous institutions to assist in determining an appropriate and proportionate housing expectation.   

The submission of an off-campus housing application is not a guarantee of approval. Students should wait for written approval from the Office of Residential Life before signing any leases or rental agreements for off-campus housing.

Students who are eligible for off-campus housing must submit an online request.  Applications are available online and approval will be granted on an ongoing basis, beginning in November each year.

For... Requests received after... will be subject to ...
Fall 2016 May 15, 2016 $200 late charge
Spring 2017 December 1, 2016 $200 late charge
Fall 2017 May 15, 2017 $200 late charge

Students currently living off campus can either submit an online request or email to ORL with updated address and phone number by July 15th to avoid the $200 late charge.

For students planning to move off-campus, we highly recommend that you talk with financial aid about the potential impact of that choice on your aid.  Financial aid typically does not apply to off-campus housing.

Unique Circumstances

  • Married students, students with medical or mental health conditions that cannot be accommodated in University-approved housing, or students living with their parents and commuting to campus may also apply for off-campus housing. In any of these cases, permission must be obtained through the Office of Residential Life and further documentation may be required for some claims. 
  • Applications from students affiliated with Fraternities and Sororities with University-approved housing will be forwarded to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life for final approval.
  • Students returning to campus from an off-campus study program or from a period of inactivity may submit an application for off-campus housing during the Spring term.