Fall 2018 Leasing Information
The Gates and East Street Apartments are priced competitively with private apartment complexes located off-campus and do require an annual lease. The per person cost is found on the Tuition and Fees page and is priced per semester includes all utilities. The Gates apartments are fully furnished (including full sized beds), cable, internet, a dishwasher, and include an in-unit washer/dryer. East Street Apartments include bedroom furniture (including full sized beds), university cable, internet, and shared in-building laundry room.
How do I sign up?
Applications are electronic, and are live and ready in MyHousing. For step by step instructions, Check out this Video. Priority for choosing apartments is based on the groups below, as well as course units.
Leasing Timeline (Note these are START times - Individual times sent a few days in advance)
9/25/17 – Lease Applications open FOR ALL GROUPS (Lease is not considered signed until students choose an apartment).
- Fill out application/sign lease online in MyHousing
- Add roommates in MyHousing, and everyone mutually agrees
- Apartments will be chosen on the schedule below. Priority for choosing apartments is based on the groups below, as well as course units.
10/13/17 - Applications Due and Roommates Setup
- Application filled out online in MyHousing
- All Roommates mutually matched
10/17/17 – Apartment/Room Selection
- Starting at 7:00pm for GROUP 1
- Starting at 8:00pm for GROUP 2 (Time is estimated - starts after previous group is done)
10/18/17 – Apartment/Room Selection
- Starting at 7:00 for GROUP 3
- Starting at 8:00 for GROUP 4 (Time is estimated - starts after previous group is done)
Groupings/Priority Order for Choosing Apartments
(For the purposes of these groups: Rising Juniors are students who have lived on campus for 4 semesters, and Rising Seniors are students who have lived on campus for 6 semesters)
- Rising Seniors with a current 2 year lease AND can fill apartment (Includes adding new Rising Juniors/Seniors to fill apartment)
- Rising Seniors with a current 1 year lease wanting to re-lease AND can fill apartment (Includes adding new Rising Juniors/Seniors to fill apartment)
- Rising Seniors wanting to sign new lease AND can fill apartment
- Rising Juniors who want to sign new 2 year lease AND can fill apartment
- Rising Juniors wanting to sign new lease AND can fill apartment
- Open Leasing: Any Rising Junior or Senior wanting to sign new lease regardless of filling apartment
Apartment Selection Times and Distribution
Once students complete the appropriate application, ORL staff place all students/applications into tiers based on course units earned. Students are then randomized within the tiers, and then assigned a selection time. For example, if there are 100 seniors in Tier 1, each student has an equal chance of receiving the 1st time to 100th time. Students housing selection times will be available in MyHousing, and an email will be sent to their IWU email when times are ready. Emails are sent a few days in advance of the start of room selection.
The housing selection process are set up in this way to assure that seniors have first preference. Students within each course unit range are assigned a time to select an apartment randomly so that every person has the same chance of choosing first or choosing last within the course-unit range. The following chart shows the class tier, and the corresponding unit-hour levels (adapted from IWU course catalog):
|Class tier||Credit-hour range|
|Senior Tier I||27.5 or more|
|Senior Tier II||24.00 - 27.49|
|Junior Tier I||18.5 - 23.99|
|Junior Tier II||15.00 - 18.49|
|Sophomore Tier I||11.00 - 14.99|
|Sophomore Tier II||7.00 - 10.99|
|Freshmen Tier I||3.00 - 6.99|
|Freshmen Tier II||0.00 - 2.99|