Graduation Frequently Asked Questions
What is the timeline for graduation processes?
- Juniors and seniors will get an email to confirm intended grad date in Self-Service.
- Seniors will be emailed about the online graduation application and notified to pick
up the fall credit check and return by the 5th day of class. This should be done with
the advisor as soon as possible to allow time for schedule changes if necessary.
- Alumni Relations hosts a Senior Event for December grads. We do not have a December
Commencement ceremony, but December grads are invited to participate in the Spring
- Degrees will be awarded for December grads.
- Emails will be sent to seniors with graduation issues before the first day of classes.
Please DO NOT ignore this email if you receive one.
- Cap & Gown ordering will take place.
- Cap & Gown pick up will take place.
- Alumni Relations hosts a Senior Event for spring grads.
- Honor's Convocation
- Be sure to read ALL emails from the University and respond as requested.
- Degrees will be posted for spring grads.
- Degrees will be posted for May term grads.
- Degrees will be posted for summer grads.
What if my degree evaluation shows a "No" for a requirement that I know I've met?
Please contact the Registrar's office to see why that is happening. It could be an
easy solution, but also could be a problem so please do not wait to contact us.
What if I cannot attend cap & gown ordering or pick up?
If you have let us know on the graduation survey that you will be attending the ceremony
and do not attend cap & gown ordering, you will receive an email from our office with
a link to order online.
If you ordered cap and gown but cannot make it to the pick up day, you may pick it
up in the university bookstore.
If you miss the deadline for cap and gown online ordering, there is a chance you may
still be able to get them from the bookstore, but you must do this as soon as possible
as extras are limited. However, if you do not let the Registrar's office know that
you picked up an extra cap and gown, your name will not be in the Commencement program
if we are not notified.
What if my cap and/or gown does not fit properly?
To exchange your cap and/or gown, please do so at the IWU Bookstore. Be sure to check
sizing as soon as you receive the regalia since extras are limited.
When and where can I get tickets to the Commencement ceremony?
Tickets are not needed and seating is first come, first served. Contact the President's
Office if you need special seating accommodations.
Can I keep my cap, gown and tassel?
The University pays for the cap and gown rental, so those will need to be returned
at the conclusion of the ceremony. However, you may keep the tassel (tassel colors
are determined by the degree). You may also order a "keeper cap" if you wish to decorate
your cap and a souvenir tassel (school colors and year) at your own expense.
Can I walk in Commencement if I have not completed my degree?
Students within two requirements of graduation at the time of Commencement (before
May term) may walk in the Commencement ceremony.
Students more than two requirements from graduation at the time of Commencement must
petition to walk if they would like to participate in the ceremony. Those students
must show a plan for completion and fill out the proper paperwork in order for the
petition committee to review. Do not wait until the last minute to submit a petition
as the committee must have time for review.
Where can I find additional information about the Commencement ceremony?
Intended graduates will receive emails from the President's Office with ceremony details.
You may also visit the Commencement website: www.iwu.edu/commencement/.
When will I receive my diploma?
- December grads:
- You will be asked if you would like to have your diploma mailed or receive it at the
spring Commencement ceremony.* Everyone participating receives a diploma tube, so
guests will not know if the diploma is in the tube or not.
- Spring grads:
- For those that have completed requirements in full at the time of the ceremony, you
will receive your diploma at Commencement.*
- May term grads:
- You will be asked for a mailing address and the diploma will be mailed after May term
grades are posted.*
- Summer grads:
- Anyone finishing requirements after the end of May term and by August 31st will be
considered summer grads. Those diplomas will be mailed after August 31st.*
- *Note: Diplomas will not be given if:
- you have a hold on your account.
- you have any requirement not fulfilled.
- you have an Incomplete that is not yet finished.
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Registrar's Office!