Appeals to Housing Charges
Students are able to appeal assessed housing charges for the following reasons:
- Charges were assessed in error
- Extreme circumstances warrant exemption from assessed charges
- Assessment of charges did not follow institutional process
- New information exists that would influence assessment of charges
Appeals must abide by the following conventions:
- Must be in writing
- Must be submitted within 60 days of the assessment
- Must cite the grounds (numbered above) upon which the appeal is based
- Must make explanation of the associated circumstances to fully inform the deliberation of the Housing Appeals Committee.
The Housing Appeals Committee is drawn from the following individuals and groups: the Business Office, Panhellenic Council/Interfraternity Council, ORL Advisory Committee, ORL Professional Staff, Associate Dean of Students. The Committee is co-convened by the Assistant Director of Residential Life and the Director of Fraternity/Sorority Life who serve as non-voting members. This group meets quarterly in October, January, April and July and hears appeals submitted prior to the first day of the month during which the meeting takes place. Students will be notified of the committee's decision within two weeks of the Housing Appeals Committee meeting or by the end of the month in which the meeting takes place, whichever is earlier. Students should decline payment of billed charges associated with an appeal until a final decision is made.