Transfer Student FAQs

Do I have to attend Turning Titan: New Student Orientation the week before classes start?
As long as you have completed the online orientation course, and attended an individual campus visit, you do not.  However, you are welcome to attend as it's an additional opportunity to become acquainted with the Illinois Wesleyan campus community.  If you have specific concerns please contact the Office of Orientation Services.

Is orientation required for my parent/guardian?
Technically, no.  Orientation is not required for parents and families.  However, we encourage parents to attend our virtual Experience IWU Family Orientation.

When will I register for my first semester of classes?
You will register for classes during transfer student orientation. This year the program date options are June 4th or August 6th, both held virtually.

How do I know what credits transfer?
All questions concerning transfer credit should be addressed to the Registrar's Office at (309) 556-3161. Information is also available in the IWU catalog under "Transfer of Credits". If you have not sent your final transcripts to IWU by the time you have your individualized campus visit, it would be helpful to bring an unofficial transcript or grade report, but no work can be entered on the IWU transcript until we receive an official transcript from your transfer institution. Any final transcripts sent will be evaluated by the Registrar's Office, in conjunction with the chair of your department/program if you have a declared major prior to your campus visit. During your campus visit, your advisor will go over any general education requirements or categories that have not been fulfilled and will also go over your major requirements. If, after meeting with your advisor, you still have questions about your courses that did or did not transfer, please see the Associate Registrar in the Registrar's Office (110 Holmes Hall).

Where do I buy books for classes?
At the beginning of each semester the University Bookstore designates a special area for possible books that students might need to purchase.  The books that are available at the University Bookstore come from the Professors' booklists, so you can always make sure that you have the right materials for class.  Most students purchase their books upon arriving to campus and after registering for classes.  The University Bookstore is located in the Hansen Student Center.

Where can I buy things in town?
Bloomington-Normal offers a variety of close shopping locations ranging from grocery stores and malls to unique boutiques in the local downtown area.  More information about the area is available from the Bloomington-Normal Convention and Visitors Bureau.

When are school breaks such as Winter Break, Spring Break, etc.?
Important University dates are available on the Academic Calendar.

Should I bring my car to campus?
All students can bring their cars to campus. There is no charge to park a car on campus, but students must obtain a (free) parking permit from the security office during your individualized campus visit. Bloomington-Normal also has a public transportation system that covers the town. Many students also bring bicycles to get around town and to ride on the Constitution Trail.

What kind of computer should I bring to campus? What kind of computer software do I need? What about other technologies on campus?
The Information Technology department on campus has created this technology website for new students, which should have any information you need.

Where can I do banking in Bloomington-Normal?
Please see this list of Banks in the area (pdf).

Where can my parents stay the night in Bloomington-Normal?
IWU offers this list of Hotels & Motels in the Bloomington-Normal area.

What if I have other questions?
You can always call us here at the Office of Orientation Services at 309-556-3749.