FAQ about Experience IWU: Parent Orientation
As you prepare for your student to join the Illinois Wesleyan University family, we hope that the questions and answers below will be of use to you. Please review them carefully before you call the Office of Orientation Services. Make sure to click on each item to see the response.
What is Experience IWU: Parent Orientation?
- Experience IWU: Parent Orientation is Illinois Wesleyan University's way of welcoming you to the university experience. Experience IWU is designed for parents and/or guardians of first year college students to learn the resources they need to become a more effective and supportive part of their child's life.
- During Experience IWU, you will get a chance to interact with administrators, faculty and staff. A variety of presentations will also be presented by key individuals on campus, which will allow you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have. Topics of discussions may include:
- Financial Aid
- Living on Campus
- Dining Services/Meal Plans
- Money Management
- Academic Expectations/Requirements
- Health and Well Being
- Personal and Property Safety
- Student Organizations and Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Disability Services
- Family Transition
- First Year on Campus: What to Expect
- Career Development
- Study Abroad
- Students Rights & Responsibilities
- FERPA for Parents
- Class Sessions
- By attending Experience IWU, you can expect to receive many benefits:
- Vital knowledge of the University's academic and social aspects
- Time to meet individually with administrators, faculty, staff and students
- Learn how to help your child adjust to college life
- Have the opportunity to confirm your child's financial aid, housing, meal plan, etc.
- Get a hands-on experience of the classroom setting
- Develop a network of friends by interacting with other parents attending the program.
- Parents and/or guardians of first-year students are invited to attend the session in June. This session is held early in the summer so that parents can help first-year student get ready for the upcoming transition to being a college student. This is not mandatory for parents, but is highly encouraged because it will provide you with the opportunity to meet informally with administrators and faculty members. Participants in Experience IWU will also learn more about the academic, social, and financial aspects of Illinois Wesleyan University. Future students are not encouraged to attend Experience IWU with their parents or guardians. The programs and activities are specifically for parents or guardians and there will be no specific programming for the future students.
- Experience IWU is being held on Saturday, June 22, 2013. The program will begin at 8:00 AM and last until 5:00 PM. The pre-registration deadline is Friday, June 14, 2013 and registrations will be taken after this date as space is available.
- The cost for you to register will be $20 per person, which will cover continental breakfast, lunch, and program materials. This registration fee is non-refundable. If you are interested in applying for a fee waiver to parents or guardians simply complete the online application and indicate "Request for Fee Waiver" in the payment section. Staff will review all requests and respond as soon as possible regarding the status of the waiver. If you have additional questions, you can contact the Office of Orientation Services at email@example.com
- Experience IWU is intended for parents and/or guardians only. Other family members will have an opportunity to visit IWU during Family Weekend in the fall.
- Yes, as long as there is space available. In order to have a nametag and other materials ready for you upon arrival, we ask that you pre-register in advance by the deadline.
- Experience IWU is designed to be a one day event, so parents are not required to stay overnight. If parents are staying in town overnight, they can stay at one of the convenient nearby hotels which can be found by clicking here.
- Experience IWU will begin and end in the Memorial Center located at 104 University St., Bloomington, IL 61701. There is a parking in the area, though you may find it easier to park at the Hansen Student Center (300 Beecher St.) and walk to the Memorial Center. Click here to locate the Memorial Center (number 20) or the Hansen Student Center (number 13) on the University map. Just look for the "Orientation Parking" signs around campus.
- The location of check-in will be in the Eckley Lounge of the Memorial Center, located at 104 University Street. Registration begins at 8:00 AM.
- If you cannot attend Experience IWU but you have questions or concerns about your student entering Illinois Wesleyan University you can contact the Office of Orientation Services at (309) 556-3749 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, handouts from the sessions presented at Experience IWU will be posted online for those who are unable to attend.
- If you have more questions or concerns after you attend Experience IWU, then you can contact the Office of Orientation Services at (309) 556-3749 or via email at email@example.com.
You can also access a print version of the FAQ here.