Inaugural Career Immersion Spring Break Trip Heading to Chicago
Students will have the opportunity to visit nearly a dozen Chicago employers and network with alumni and other professionals on the Career Immersion Excursion to Chicago.
O'Rourke '07 Awarded Rotary Peace Fellowship
Shannon O'Rourke '07 received a Rotary Peace Fellowship to study at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand.
Sheridan Translates Italian Bestseller
Language professor Scott Sheridan recently translated The Guardians of History by Italian author Elisabetta Cametti, his second translation of a novel for AmazonCrossing.
• Senior Erin McCarey became the second Titan ever to earn All-American status in women's cross country, finishing 21st at the NCAA Division III national championships in Winneconne, Wisconsin, on Saturday, Nov. 21.
• The women's soccer team ended their season at the NCAA Division III Sectional with a loss to Wisconsin-Whitewater – and with a single-season school record 20 wins.
> Find more highlights at www.iwusports.com.
Visit Your Online Class Newsletter
We've made it easier to keep up with the latest news and photos from your classmates! When you visit your Class Newsletter, you can subscribe via email by submitting your address under "subscribe to my posts."
In recent posts, Mike Sutter ’76, who is Chief Innovation Officer at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Illinois, was named one of 15 hospital and health system chief innovation officers to know by Becker's Healthcare.
Rockford Holiday Party
Date: Dec. 2, 2015
Join alumni, family and friends for the Rockford Area Alumni Connection, with special guest President Eric Jensen.
4th Annual Alumni Track and Field Meet
Date: Dec. 5
Time: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
Come and support the current team, see “old” friends and coaches, and if you are feeling nostalgic, feel free to dust off the old spikes and compete!
Atlanta Holiday Party
Join alumni, family and friends for the Atlanta Area Alumni Connection, with special guests President Eric Jensen and First Lady Elizabeth Jensen.
Seattle/Tacoma Alumni Gathering
Date: Dec. 18
Time: 6 p.m.
Join us as we cheer on the Titan women's basketball team vs. University of Puget Sound at the Pacific Lutheran University Tournament. Join us after the game for pizza with the team and Coach Mia Smith.
31st Annual Phoenix Alumni Connection
Date: Jan. 31, 2016
Time: 12:30 - 3 p.m.
Please join us as we welcome the 19th President of Illinois Wesleyan, Eric Jensen and his wife, Elizabeth Jensen. Save the Date. Invitations to arrive in late December.
Monday, Nov. 23
• 11 a.m., Turfler Room, Memorial Center – ROTC Informational Lunch – Illinois Wesleyan students in ROTC invite all students, faculty and staff to ask questions and learn more about the Army ROTC program and its benefits. Grab your lunch in the Commons and come join us in the Turfler Room (attached to the Commons on the west side, near the tray return area.)
• 12 p.m., Wakeley Gallery, Joyce Eichhorn Ames School of Art – Text Talks: A Focus on Ancient Texts from the Hebrew Bible and Psalms – The campus community is invited to a discussion of what this collection of ancient hymns, prayers, and laments tell us about the nature of human suffering and the capacity to live authentically through it. RSVP to Chaplain Elyse Nelson-Winger at firstname.lastname@example.org to join us for lunch. This event is offered in connection with the Wakeley Gallery exhibit "Pursuing the Ephemeral, Painting the Enduring: Alzheimer's and the Artwork of William Utermohlen," made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. For more information, please contact Dr. Noel Kerr at ext. 3672 or email@example.com.
• 12:10 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Non-org: "Life as a Visiting Scholar in Hong Kong: Teaching a Summer Session at Lingnan University" – Associate Professor of Biology Edgar Lehr will talk about his teaching experiences and challenges during the 6 weeks he spent in Hong Kong this summer. He will also report on tours and activities available while on an academic mission there.
Wednesday, Nov. 25 through Sunday, Nov. 29
Thanksgiving Recess – All IWU residence halls will close on Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 6 p.m., and will reopen on Sunday, Nov. 29 at 2 p.m.
> See Thanksgiving Break Hours for campus facilities.
Saturday, Nov. 28
• 3 p.m., Shirk Center – Men's Basketball vs. Ohio Wesleyan University – Live streaming video at www.iwu.edu/livesports
Sunday, Nov. 29
• 6 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Student Senate Meeting
Monday, Nov. 30
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m. (Also on Tuesday, Dec. 1), Dugout, Memorial Center – Thanksgiving Clothes Drive – When you go home for Thanksgiving, bring back with you the clothes that have overstayed their welcome in your closet. Those who donate will get candy canes, and he or she with the angstiest high school apparel will be publicized. Sponsored by the Philanthropy Committee of Phi Mu Alpha.
• 12:10 p.m., Davidson Room, Memorial Center – Non-org: "On Reading University Financial Reports" – Chair and Associate Professor of Philosophy Mark Criley will discuss how to read university financial reports, including audited financial statements and IPEDs data. He will share his experience from the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) Summer Institute sessions on the topic and what he learned about IWU's data.
> Find more on the University's Events Calendar
#TGOE – Winter is Coming
Order your Titan hats and scarves here.
Need a gift? Homecoming shirts are for sale at reduced prices in the Alumni Office by Subway.
Homecoming Speakers on Video
Videos are now online for the Homecoming Alumni Luncheon
and Back to College Classes:
- Korey Coon - Staying Balanced In An "Always On" World
- Chris Sweet - History of Bicycling in Illinois
- Stephanie Whyte '91 - Perseverance and Faith
- Given Harper - Biodiversity And Conservation In Costa Rica
- Mike Wagner - Integration & Collaboration of Athletics & Academics
Titans In The News
Illinois Wesleyan's new president, Eric Jensen, sat down for a Q & A after a few weeks on the job.
Evan Kasprzak '10 starred for three years on Broadway in "Newsies," after placing third on the fifth season of "So You Think You Can Dance." He returned to his alma mater to choreograph the musical drama "Giant" in its first post-NYC production.
Illinois Wesleyan students held a gathering for peace after the Paris attacks. Also reported by WEEK/WHOI TV and The Pantagraph.
The sports information director’s office has been named in honor of former director Ed Elsene, thanks to an anonymous donation from an IWU alumnus.
An exhibit at Illinois Wesleyan's Ames School of Art shows the work of William Utermohlen, who continued painting after the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
Bureau County Republican
Pianist and organist Charles Gebeck '83 performed at the opening reception for the sixth annual Christmas Mini-Tree Festival at the Prairie Arts Center in Princeton.
Illinois Wesleyan University will mark the holiday season with a number of cultural events.
> More Titans in the News
• Technology Trainer Kate Browne presented a webcast about Universal Design on Higher Ed Special Edition. She has also written about the topic for the OmniUpdate Blog.
• Cynthia (Donath) Cale '00 published "Could Secondary DNA Transfer Falsely Place Someone at the Scene of a Crime?" in the Journal of Forensic Sciences. Results from this study were presented at the 66th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Feb. 17-22, 2014, in Seattle, Washington.
Cale also wrote an opinion piece related to this research project for Nature in the op-ed column, World View, which appeared in the Oct. 29, 2015 issue.
• Laura Hones ’13 was selected for the 2015-16 SAGA Fellowship program in Chicago. SAGA Fellows serve as full-time, in-school professional math tutors in Chicago or New York City public schools for one school year.
• Dave Kindred '63 was selected by the PEN Literary Awards Committee as a judge for the prestigious 2016 PEN/ESPN Lifetime Achievement Award for Literary Sports Writing.
"PEN Awards judges represent some of the most distinguished voices in literature, and we are therefore thrilled to have Dave Kindred as one of our panelists this year," a PEN representative wrote.
• Anthropology major and 2015 graduate Sneha Subramanian is now assistant manager of internal communications at Earth Hour.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.