First Students Chosen as Mellon Scholars
Mallika Kavadi '15 and Joseph O'Brien '14 pursued research as Mellon Summer Scholars under the mentorship of faculty members, thanks to a grant from the Mellon Foundation.
It's a Small World When You're a Titan
From remote mountaintops, to job interviews, to the world's busiest pedestrian intersection in Tokyo, Titans shared the most unexpected places they've found each other.
• The first-ever WeishFest, a benefit for the Andrew Weishar Foundation, will be held on Sept. 1 at Standard Bank Stadium in Crestwood, Ill., raising money to support families who have teenagers with cancer. The event honors Weishar, a former IWU football player who died last October.
> Find more highlights at
• Professor of French Chris Callahan presented a paper at the 14th Triennial Congress of the International Courtly Literature Society (ICLS) in Lisbon, Portugal, where he was re-elected secretary/treasurer of the North American Branch of the ICLS.
Callahan also has been named to the Study in France Committee of the U.S. Student Fulbright National Screening Committee for a three-year term.
• Chair and Professor of Hispanic Studies Christina Isabelli presented a conference workshop entitled "Spanish heritage language learners in Spanish as a second language class" at the 2013 Middlebury College Conference on Pedagogy for Spanish as a Second Language in Middlebury, Vt., July 15-18.
• Scholarly Communications Librarian Stephanie Davis-Kahl was named a 2013 Institutional Repository (IR) All-Star by bepress, "because of her early vision and compelling advocacy for the value of student research in the IR, and specifically for student-edited journals." With platforms including Digital Commons, bepress offers hosted institutional repositories and scholarly publishing services.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
Monday, Aug. 19 -- Final day for International Student Orientation, MALANA Pre-Orientation and the Engaging Diversity pre-orientation programs.
Tuesday, Aug. 20 - Sunday, Aug. 25
Turning Titan: New Student Orientation --
Highlights include a kickoff event with Live Band Karaoke at 9 p.m. Tuesday, and the return of hypnotist Frederick Winters at 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 23, both at the Hansen Student Center.
Friday, Aug. 23
• 8 a.m., Young Main Lounge and Joslin Atrium, Memorial Center -- Faculty and Staff Breakfast -- A breakfast buffet for faculty and staff will be followed by annual remarks from President Richard F. Wilson. The 2013 Max L. Starkey Staff Award recipient will also be announced.
Saturday, Aug. 24
Returning Students Arrive
• 6 p.m., Hansen Student Center -- Titan Carnival: Family Zone -- Faculty and staff are invited to join the fun at the Titan Carnival from 6-8 p.m., ending at 8 p.m. when students take their turn at the carnival.
Monday, Aug. 26
First day of classes
• 8 a.m., Kemp Commencement Plaza, State Farm Hall -- State Farm Hall Ribbon Cutting -- The campus community is invited to a ribbon cutting ceremony at State Farm Hall, followed by a continental breakfast and tours inside the new classroom building.
> Find more events on the Campus Calendar.
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Communications Office, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit titanpride.org today to update your profile, register for an event, post pictures, or simply get back in touch.
Titans In The News
William Powers '64, internationally recognized operatic bass-baritone, is directing the upcoming production of Verdi's La Traviata for Oak Park's
Verismo Opera Company. Powers' concept places the action in Frank Lloyd Wright's 1910 Oak Park rather than the usual setting of Paris in 1850.
Beach Lewis Chair of Biology Given Harper discussed the drop in monarch butterflies observed this year.
Charlene Carruthers '07 of the Black Youth Project discussed the Trayvon Martin protests and U.S. race relations in this July 21 video clip.
> More Titans in the News
Get Your Titan Gear
Visit theiwubookstore.com for the latest Titan paraphernalia.
Explore Wesleyan in Videos
Transforming Lives Campaign
All in For Wesleyan Results:
2,500 alumni and friends of the University went "All In for Wesleyan" on July 17, raising $480,000 in the one-day giving challenge.