May Term 2015 Photo Contest Guidelines
Theme: Photographs that highlight the richness and uniqueness of your May Term 2015 experience.
There are four categories of content:
- The Natural World - Animals, plants, landscapes, scientific processes and endeavors
- People and Events
- Travel – domestic or international
- This year's Annual Theme: "Walls and Bridges"
You may submit up to four photos (one per category). Your submission should include
a caption describing exactly how the photo relates to your May Term experience.
The grand prize, chosen from all submissions (in all 4 categories) will be $100 worth
of gift cards to popular restaurants and stores in the Bloomington-Normal area.
Winners in each category will receive $40 in similar gift cards. Additionally, winners
will receive a poster of their photo. If winners are unable to make use of the above
prizes (e.g. seniors leaving town), the Mellon Center will provide other types of
Prizes will be announced in early Fall 2015.
A panel consisting of IWU faculty and staff will judge the photos. Submissions will
be judged on A) content/composition and B) technical quality. An overall winner will
be picked from among the category winners, based on a popular vote open to all May
Term 2015 students.
Photographs must be in digital format (e.g. jpeg, png, bmp). High quality scanned
images of prints are allowed. The photograph must contain no less than 3 megapixels.
This quality is available on most smart phone cameras.
Between May 6 and June 15, you may add your pictures to the four albums on the MT
2015 Facebook page. A caption must accompany the photograph, and should include the
date the photo was taken, the subject of the image and its relationship to May Term
2015, and the location. The caption must be no longer than 100 words.
- All photos must be digital and have 3 megapixel or better sampling. High quality scanned
images of prints will be allowed.
- Only IWU students registered for May Term 2015 may participate. The photos must be
taken during May Term -- May 6 through May 29 -- but can be submitted through June
- We will accept a maximum of 4 photos per contestant, one under each category. i.e.
one per album.
- Photos that have been significantly altered digitally, beyond standard optimization
(e.g. dust removal, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast),
will be disqualified
- If recognizable individuals are the subject of your photo, you must have them sign this release form. If they're under the age of majority, their parent/guardian should sign this release form.
- All participants agree that their images can be used for advertisement purposes of
Illinois Wesleyan University. Copyrights remain with the authors of the photos and
authors will be credited when images are published.
If you need further clarification about the contest or photo uploads, please email
the organizers at email@example.com