IWU's baseball field, dedicated in 1999, is named in honor of Professor Jack Horenberger '36, who served on the faculty for 38 years.
The Ballpark is the first step in a master plan aimed at upgrading IWU's outdoor athletic facilities. Among its features are a tiered grandstand with seating for over 350, home and visiting team dugouts, a special clay-sand mixture that promotes drying, a 10-inch sand base in the grassy area, batting cage and picnic area.
The field has one distinctive quirk: because of its location on the border of Bloomington and its twin-city, Normal, it is possible for a batter to hit the ball into the next town and still have the ball caught for an out.
In keeping with Coach Horenberger's wishes, the field will also be used by the "youth of McLean County and all those who love baseball."
(1611 N. Franklin Avenue)