The Sesquicentennial Gateway, an impressive curved brick and limestone entryway to the IWU campus at Park and Empire Streets, commemorates the university's sesquicentennial--the 150th anniversary of its founding in 1850.
Inscribed on one side of the gateway is Illinois Wesleyan University; the other side carries the university's motto: "Scientia et Sapientia" (Knowledge and Wisdom).
The four 25-foot limestone pillars in the gateway are from Hedding College, Abingdon, IL, which merged with IWU in 1930. They were presented to the university by H. Harlan Bloomer, son of a former president of Hedding's Board of Trustees.
(Empire & Park St.)