Student Rights and Responsibilities is the department within the Division of Student Affairs responsible for the student judicial system. These duties include complaint review, investigation and interview, adjudication and policy development. The principles of civility and social justice guide the activities of the office as it:
- Provides intake, review and referral for complaints about the behavior of Illinois Wesleyan Students.
- Interprets, implements, and enforces the policies contained in the IWU Student Handbook, residential life policies and judicial process
- Provides students involves in incidents related to code violations the right to procedural due process, including the right to a formal hearing before the All-University Judiciary Committee (comprised of faculty, staff and students) or informal adjudication with a hearing officer, and the right to appeal disciplinary decisions.
- Trains and coordinates the members of the All-University Judiciary Committee.
- Maintains confidential student disciplinary records in accordance with University, state, and federal guidelines.
- Carries out the educational mission of Illinois Wesleyan University's student judicial system through mediation, referrals, informal counseling, and printed information.