The Office of Residential Life is responsible for translating the overall philosophy and objectives of the Illinois Wesleyan University residence hall program into a practical and meaningful set of services, activities and programs for students living within the university-owned residence halls. In addition to counseling residents concerning personal and/or academic concerns, Residence Directors are responsible for supervision of hall staff and overseeing most aspects of the residence hall, including programming and activities. In this process, Residence Directors promote the development of skills for leadership, decision-making, conflict resolution, fiscal management, problem solving and self-discipline. Below is a summary of the responsibilities of the Residence Director position.
- Implement, with other residence hall staff, the philosophy and objectives of the IWU residence hall program as outlined and explained by the Office of Residential Life in a building housing 128-260 students.
- Develop, implement and promote a community development plan for your residence hall to provide a comfortable, safe and inclusive atmosphere for your residents that is conducive to holistic growth and development of first-year and/or upper-division students.
- Supervision of para-professional student staff (5-11); indirect supervision of Hall Desk staff (10-20) and operations.
- Act as a secondary source of first-year, international and transfer student orientation to the University; contribute to the success of New Student Orientation, the First Year Experience, The Sophomore Year Experience and Transfer Orientation.
- Complete administrative work in a timely manner to facilitate communication and the smooth operation of the residence hall.
- Counsel residents informally, and provide appropriate resources and referral.
- Act as the primary advisor for Hall Council; facilitate elections and encourage participation.
- Attain a fundamental understanding of IWU and ORL policies and procedures. Track policy violations and implement disciplinary procedures as warranted. Submit appropriate paperwork and follow-up necessary.
- Participate in on-duty requirements with other professional and para-professional staff members.
- Understand and observe emergency procedures as appropriate.
- Take on centralized responsibilities in ORL-related processes such as Recognition, Staff Recruitment, Training and Orientation Planning, Assessment.
- Assume other responsibilities related to the residence hall program as assigned by the Office of Residential Life.
Qualifications:A master's degree and appropriate work experience is required.Preferred experience includes supervision, facility management, advising, and program development.
Remuneration: Base cash salary for 12 months is $26,000, subject to federal income tax and Illinois state income tax withholdings. Compensation includes: a $1,000 professional development fund; a furnished apartment equipped with free local phone, high-speed internet and basic cable; a meal plan for oneself, for a partner and dining center meals for dependent children; an excellent benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance; free campus parking passes for all vehicles; and Shirk Athletic Center passes for oneself and a partner. Staff members accrue 20 vacation days and 2 personal days per year, as well as having paid sick leave and paid holidays.
Application information and Deadlines: Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Final candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation. Anticipated start date is immediate. For additional information about the Office of Residential Life and this position please go to: https://www.iwu.edu/orl/staff/join/rd/
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual harassment and sexual violence policy may be accessed at:http://www.iwu.edu/judicial/handbook/SexualHarassment.html
Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Inclusive Excellence