Guidelines for Department Computer Purchases
Each Spring the University asks departments to submit equipment budget requests (on campus link only.) Equipment requests for academic equipment (including computers) are evaluated by the office of the Associate Provost. The Associate Provost reviews these requests following defined guidelines for upgrading and replacing faculty computers. Requests for administrative equipment are evaluated by the Assistant Provost and Chief Technology Officer.
Please note: All old computers and printers being replaced by new equipment must be returned to Information Technology Services (ITS) unless a request to keep a system as a "hand-me-down" has been specifically approved by either the Associate Provost (for academic equipment) or the Assistant Provost and CTO (for administrative equipment.)
These guidelines are intended to help departments prepare for the annual budget cycle. The University expects that its computers will have at least a 4-5 year useful life. In order to help departments with their annual budget requests, the office of Information Technology Services maintains this list of recommended technology equipment for budget projection purposes.
Recommended Computer Specifications for Budget Planning
- 21" Widescreen, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, with AppleCare - $1,370
- 11'' Widescreen, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD w/AppleCare and sleeve - $1,262
- 13" Widescreen, 8GB RAM, 128 SSD w/AppleCare and sleeve - $1,372
- 13" Widescreen, 8GB RAM, 500GB, w/AppleCare, case - $1,350
- 15" Widescreen, 8GB RAM, 500GB, w/AppleCare, case - $2,200
- Mac Mini, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, w/AppleCare - $768
- Magic Mouse - $69
- Apple Wireless Keyboard - $69
- Microsoft Office 2011 - Word, Excel, PowerPoint will be pre-installed on computer
- Adobe PhotoShop Elements - $50
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro - $100
- E-mail, web browsers, and virus protection are provided by ITS
- iPad Air - 16GB $499, 32GB 599, 64GB $699
- iPad Mini with Retina Display - 16GB $399, 32GB $499
Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop
Lenovo Desktop PC - 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, CD-R/DVDRW, with a Lenovo 23" LCD Monitor, 3 year warranty - $1000
Lenovo Desktop PC - All-in-One Computer - 4GB RAM, 500G HD, 20" Display, CD-RW/DVDRW, 3 year warranty - $950
Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop - 14" Screen, 4GB RAM, 500G HD, CD-RW/DVD, WiFi, camera, 3 year Drop and Spill warranty - $1,600
- 15.6" Screen, 4GB RAM, 500G HD, CD-RW/DVD, WiFi, camera, 3 year Drop and Spill warranty - $1,600
- *Thinkpad price includes 2nd power adapter, drop and spill warranty, and case
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge - Basic Thinkpad with Webcam, 500G HD, 4GB Memory - $650
- Great inexpensive notebook computer. This unit does not support the use of a docking station but does have plenty USB ports and video out for use with a projector.
- Microsoft Office 2010 - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access will be pre-installed on the computer
- Adobe Photoshop Elements - $50
- Adobe Acrobat Pro - $65
- E-mail, web browsers, and virus/spyware protection and PDF writer are provided by IT Services.
- The cost to print on an inkjet printer is very high and is not environmentally or economically sustainable. Strongly consider printing to a shared network printer/copier before requesting an ink jet printer. Requests for ink jet printers will be carefully reviewed for 2014-2015
Lexmark E360dn Laser Printer - 40ppm w/duplexing - Great for individuals or a small workgroup not needing multiple media options - $365
Lexmark Laser Printer - 50ppm Networked Laser Printer for Workgroups with Duplexer, and Extra 500 Sheet Tray - $1,100
- Envelope Feeder for Lexmark Printers - $260
- 500 Sheet Paper Tray for Lexmark Printers - $260
Lexmark Multifunction Printer - Scan/Copy/Print/FAX - 50ppm for Administrative Areas as a replacement to an existing laser printer and copy machine - $1,400
- *Please contact your ITS Liaison to discuss Lexmark Multifunction Printers for your area*
- External Backup Hard Drive for Mac or PC - $100
- USB Flash Drive for Mac or PC - 64GB (Dept. Funds) - $35
- Macintosh 2Gb Upgrade - $110
- Lenovo 2Gb Upgrade - $75
Please note: prices listed are not exact costs - the prices are for budget planning only.
For assistance with planning for departmental computer purchases, please contact your department's ITS Liaison (on campus link) or call the Help@Ames Desk at 309-556-3900.