Authorization to Use Banner Systems
There are several levels of security associated with using Banner systems.
All users must have:
- An Oracle ID (Banner Login ID).
- Authorization for each Banner form to be used. The set of forms a user needs is determined by the functions the director or department head pre-approves.
Proper Use and Banner System Information Privacy
Access to Banner systems is restricted to those who require access in order to fulfill their job responsibilities. The director (or designee) for each department makes the final determination as to what access is granted.
Users who are granted access to the Banner systems are responsible for protecting their access privileges. Violators may be subject to disciplinary action.
Information in the Banner systems is considered confidential and must be handled accordingly. Information obtained from the Banner systems should never be shared outside the workplace or used for any purpose that is not related to the users assigned job responsibilities.
To obtain access to any of the Banner modules, a Banner Account /Access Request Form must be submitted to IT’s Administrative Services Department in Stevenson Hall. The request must be approved by the director or department head or it will not be processed.
Updates to Existing User ID
If an existing user ID needs to be modified to grant access for additional forms, the update must be approved by the director or department head. Users are required to identify themselves to the Banner systems by supplying a user ID and password.
Passwords must be a minimum of six characters in length and should contain at least one number. (Note: Passwords cannot begin with a number) Choose one that is easy to remember, but hard to guess. Never write passwords down.
For security purposes, passwords should be changed frequently. Passwords will need to be changed for each applicable database/instance (i.e. PPRD). To change a password:
- Log into Banner.
- At the GO: prompt, enter form GUAPSWD and press enter.
- You will see the Oracle Password Change Form. Enter your current password in the Oracle password field.
- Enter the new password you created in the New Oracle password field. (Note: Your new password must be a minimum of six characters or longer. Use a combination of letters and numbers.)
- Re-enter your new password again in the Verify Password field.
- Click OK.
Are there any Banner/ Oracle Password "Best Practices" I should know?
- Use a password that has a minimum of 6 characters in length.
- Use a password format(s) that has alphanumeric characters which is a combination of letters and numbers; the letters can be upper and lowercase.
- Reset your password every 45 days.
- Do not use weak passwords. A weak password is a password that can be easily guessed or possibly obtained such as your name, your account login, license plate numbers, words in a dictionary, or a non-alphanumeric password.
- Secure your password information. If you can't remember it mentally, store the written information in a locked location that only you have access to and no one else.
- If you suspected your password has been stolen, immediately report it to the systems administrator or IT Administrative Services.