Tax Information

All international students are required to file a tax form between January 1 and April 15 for work performed in the previous calendar year, January 1 to December 31.

Income on wages earned in the United States is taxed. Some taxes will be taken out of your wages before you are given a paycheck. A few countries have treaties with the United States agreeing to not have taxes removed. However, all students who earn money must file income tax statements on or before April 15 of each year. 

The International office holds tax seminars each spring where we help you fill your tax forms. Attendance at one of these sessions is required in order to inform you of all relevant government paperwork. You will be notified about it when it is time to do your taxes.

Shedding more light on the subject  of taxes, if the F-1 or J-1 student has been in the U.S. for five years or less and had no earned income or scholarships the previous year, then they file Form 8843. All other non- US citizens who have a source of income or scholarship, will need to file Form 8843 and IRS Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR.

Each employer for whom you worked during the past calendar year (on campus) is required to issue you a W-2 before the end of January. If you are filing Forms 1040 or IT-203, you need to attach copies of the W-2 when you file these tax forms.

If our campus withheld Social Security and Medicare (FICA) taxes from your wages, as a non-U.S. citizen, you may get a refund of these taxes. You can file IRS Form 843 and Form 8316 for a refund from the IRS.

There can be immigration consequences for failing to file tax forms.You can find more information at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.