Each Spring the University asks Departments to submit equipment requests (on campus link only.) Equipment requests for academic equipment (including computers) are evaluated by the office of the Associate Provost. The Associate Provost reviews these requests following defined guidelines for upgrading and replacing faculty computers. Requests for administrative equipment are evaluated by the Assistant Provost and Chief Technology Officer.
These guidelines are intended to help departments prepare for the annual budget cycle. The University expects that computers will have at least a 4-5 year useful life. In order to help departments with their annual budget requests, the office of Information Technology Services maintains the following list of recommended technology equipment for budget projection purposes.
Please note: All old computers and printers being replaced by new equipment must be returned to Information Technology Services (ITS) unless a request to retain the computer as a repurposed system has been specifically approved by either the Associate Provost (for academic equipment) or the Assistant Provost and CTO (for administrative equipment.)
Recommended Computer Equipment and Pricing for Budget Planning
- 21" Widescreen, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion HD, with AppleCare - $1,438
- 13" Widescreen, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD w/AppleCare and sleeve - $1,232
- Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD HD, w/AppleCare - $1,118
- Magic Mouse - $79
- Apple Wireless Keyboard - $50
- Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint will be pre-installed on computer
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro - $100
- E-mail, web browsers, and virus protection are provided by ITS
- Logitech Solar Bluetooth Keyboard w/number pad - $45
- Apple Magic Mouse - $79
- Extra Power Adapter - $79
- USB-Dock for MacBook - provides Ethernet, additional USB ports, video out for external monitor use - $60
- 23" Monitor - $215
- VMWare Fusion - $49
- External Backup Drive - $65
- Case - $50
- Lenovo Desktop PC - 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, with a Lenovo 23" LCD Monitor, 3 year warranty - $1,000
Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop - 14" Screen, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, WiFi, camera, 3 year warranty - $1,315
- Dock for use with external monitor and accessories - $239
- External Backup Hard Drive for PC - $65USB Flash Drive for Mac or PC - 64GB (Dept. Funds) - $20
- Lenovo 23" Monitor - $210
- Dual Monitor Stand - $90
- Thinkpad Power Adapter - $65
- Wireless Keyboard/Mouse - $40
- Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access will be pre-installed on the computer
- Adobe Acrobat Pro - $100
- E-mail, web browsers, and virus/spyware protection and PDF writer are provided by IT Services.
- Printers Strongly consider printing to a shared network printer/copier before requesting a printer. Printer requests will be carefully reviewed.
- Lexmark Small Group (1-3) Laser Printer - 50ppm w/duplexing - Great for individuals or a small workgroup not needing multiple media options - $400
- Lexmark Workgroup Laser Printer - 55ppm Networked Laser Printer for Workgroups with Duplexer, and Extra 500 Sheet Tray - $850
Please note: prices listed are not exact costs - the prices are for budget planning only.
Still Need Help?