What is Banner?
Banner is an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system that consists of a set of integrated databases that have been configured to allow the university to perform its administrative functions in a highly efficient and creative manner. At IWU, the Banner System includes:
- Student System
- Financial Aid System
- Human Resource System
- Finance System
Other Administrative Systems
- CBORD (ID Card System, Sodexo foodservice system, Door access)
- Slate (Admissions CRM)
- Housing Director (Residential Life Operations)
- Advance (Alumni Relations System)
Two Ways to Access Banner
- Students and Faculty can access Banner Self-Service through MyIWU by clicking on "Banner Self-Service" in the secondary navigation bar (dark green). BSS is primarily used for class related matters such as looking up grades, class registration,course schedule, etc.).
Internet Native Banner
- Internet Native Banner (INB) can be accessed directly through Java based web forms which is primarily used by Faculty & Staff for entering data and searching employee records.
Note: Internet Explorer (IE) and Firefox are the supported browsers for Windows and Safari is the supported browser for the Mac.
Authorization to Use Banner INB
There are several levels of security associated with using Banner systems.
All users must have:
- An Oracle ID (Banner Login ID).
- Authorization for each Banner form to be used.
Proper Use and Banner System Information Privacy
Access to Banner INB is restricted to those who require access in order to fulfill their job responsibilities. The data steward for each module makes the final determination as to what access is granted.
Users who are granted access to the Banner systems are responsible for protecting their access privileges. Violators may be subject to having their account locked for up to 24 hours.
Information in the Banner systems is considered confidential and must be handled accordingly. Information obtained from the Banner systems should never be shared outside the workplace or used for any purpose that is not related to the users assigned job responsibilities. For more information on proper handling of student data please refer to the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA Guidelines.
To obtain access to any of the Banner modules, a request must be submitted by the appropriate data steward.
Updates to Existing User ID
If an existing user ID needs to be modified to grant access for additional forms, the update must be approved by the data steward.
Passwords must be a minimum of six characters in length and should contain at least one number. (Note: Passwords cannot begin with a number) Choose one that is easy to remember, but hard to guess. Never write passwords down. Contact anyone in Administrative Systems for password resets.
For security purposes, passwords are required to be changed every 45 days. Passwords will need to be changed for each applicable database/instance (i.e. PPRD). To change a password:
- Log into Banner.
- At the GO: prompt, enter form GUAPSWD and press enter.
- You will see the Oracle Password Change Form. Enter your current password in the Oracle password field.
- Enter the new password you created in the New Oracle password field. (Note: Your new password must be a minimum of six characters or longer. Use a combination of letters and numbers.)
- Re-enter your new password again in the Verify Password field.
- Click OK.
Are there any Banner/ Oracle Password "Best Practices" I should know?
- Use a password that has a minimum of 6 characters in length.
- Use a password format that has alphanumeric characters which is a combination of letters and numbers; the letters can be upper and lowercase.
- Do not use weak passwords. A weak password is a password that can be easily guessed or possibly obtained such as your name, your account login, license plate numbers, words in a dictionary, or a non-alphanumeric password.
- Secure your password information. If you can't remember it mentally, store the written information in a locked location that only you have access to and no one else.
- If you suspected your password has been stolen, immediately report it to the systems administrator or ITS Administrative Systems.
For more information about the Banner System: