Study Abroad

One semester required for German majors; minors are also encourages to study abroad. See the External Grants page for study abroad in the summer.

  • Cost: About the same per semester as IWU
  • Eligibility: After German 202 (4th semester college German)
  • Length of stay: One semester or a full year
  • Required Courses: Students can get general education credits as well as credits towards the German major or minor during their study abroad.
  • Living arrangements: Housing with German students or in German homes is available
  • Courses
  • All are conducted in German by native Germans or Austrians
  • Intensive German provided before start of regular semester
  • Some courses are designed for US students
  • Students can choose regular courses at a German university or institute
  • Internships with credit are offered in a variety of fields
  • Music lessons, music courses, studio art courses are available

Campus Locations and Programs

  • Big city atmosphere, major cultural offerings
  • Humboldt Universität (IES program) courses include art history, all humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
  • There are IES program courses in language, culture, literature, politics
  • CS and business courses are available at the Technische Universität
  • University of Vienna courses and Central College courses are available
  • Music students may take lessons at the Prayner Conservatory for Music and Dramatic Arts; a complete music curriculum is available.
  • Courses in international marketing, economics and world monetary systems are available at the Wirtschaftsuniversität.
  • Studio art courses are available through a private art school.
  • German majors and minors must go through the Central College program and not IES.
  • Smaller city atmosphere; proximity to France and Switzerland
  • Albert-Ludwigs-Universität courses are available in the humanities and social sciences
  • There are IES program courses in language, literature, history, politics, culture, economics and business.

Other programs are available for those not majoring or minoring in German but with an interest in German-speaking countries. Speak with the International Office and/or a German faculty member. See also information on external grants.