LGBTQ+ Alumni Project
An important aspect of identity development takes place when students are able to
see the ways in which LGBTQ+ identities are embodied through the lives and experiences
of those who have come before them. Connecting the past, present and future, and understanding that there are career
pathways for LGBTQ+s that connect to all of our academic programs is a critical way
that students are supported by alums and that bridges are built between students and
The LGBTQ+ Alumni project will feature profiles of LGBTQ+ alumni of Illinois Wesleyan
University. Each alumni participant will provide a picture, some basic demographic
information and answer 5 questions:
- Grad year
- Profession (position, field, etc)
- Where you currently reside
- Can you share a few favorite memories of IWU?
- Where, how and from whom did you see support for people with LGBTQ identities when
you were at IWU?
- What challenges existed for LGBTQ individuals on campus during your IWU experience?
- How has your identity influenced your life and career choices?
- What advice would you have for LGBTQs or Allies who are Wesleyan students today?
- Do you know of any LGBTQ+ alums who should be invited to participate in the alumni
Profile pages will become a part of the LGBT student life section of the IWU website: https://www.iwu.edu/studentlife/lgbt/
Responses will also become a part of the Illinois Wesleyan Archives as we attempt
to provide history and documentation of LGBTQ+ people and experiences at IWU.
Profile pages will not be indexed by Google or other internet search engines, and
therefore will not appear in search results. Profile pages will be public pages,
though, so anyone with the direct link would have access to the page. Pages/content
would be removed at anytime upon request.
New profiles will be promoted within the IWU Pride Alliance Facebook group which is
a closed group, meaning that permission must be provided to join and participate.
Participants are largely students and those involved in local LGBT+ advocacy organizations.
If you are willing to participate, please provide your picture and answers to the
questions above by email to email@example.com or LGBTQ@iwu.edu. We thank you for your