Here's a snapshot of some of our ES senior students!
Also, check out what some of our ES alumni are up to after graduation!
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (Ecology) and Sociology
- On-campus Involvement: Co-president of Sierra Student Coalition, the Sustainability head and Financial Advisory Board member on Student Senate, Co-Chair of GREENNetwork committee and a Multifaith Ambassador.
Off-campus Experience: Intern at the Sugar Grove Nature Center (Fall 2015)
Study Abroad Experience: Costa Rica for Tropical Ecology May Term Research Class (May 2014), SIT Tanzania researching human-wildlife conflict and mapping an elephant corridor (Spring 2015), and the Philippines interning at the International Rice Research Institute working in a molecular biology lab (Summer 2015).
“Overall, I have taken the most I can out of IWU, and this institution has given me everything in return. The faculty members I've worked with have become a part of my IWU family and have helped me become the person I am today to tackle whatever I have ahead of me.”
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (General)
- Minor(s): Health and Sociology
- On-campus Involvement: President of IWU Peace Garden Club, member of SSC, Environmental Studies Program Student Assistant
- Off-campus Experience: Interned at the Green Institute at Heartland Community College (Spring 2015), Recipient of IWU Freeman Asia Internship Program Grant where she interned at Gawad Kalinga (Summer 2015), Intern at Ecology Action Center (Fall 2015).
- Study Abroad Experience: IWU London Program (Fall 2013), Tropical Ecology May Term Course (May 2014), Philippines (Summer 2015)
"Being an Environmental Studies major at IWU has allowed me to go places and do things I never imagined I would. I've had tremendous personal growth and have made such valuable connections."
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (General)
- On-campus Involvement: IWU Peace Garden, Legacy of the Land, College Democrats, Student Senate, ORL Sustainability Educator, Rock Climbing Club, Om Tribe, Alpha Gamma Delta- Xi Chapter, Green Chair
- Off-campus Experience: Interned with Illinois Green Business Association, GreenPeace Denmark, and Action Research Center: Illinois Wesleyan Peace
- Study Abroad Experience: : DIS- Danish Institute for Study Abroad, Sustainable Architecture & Development in Scandinavia
“My undergraduate experience was beneficial to my education but more importantly my outreach in making the community and the world a better place. If you are reading this and thinking about pursuing an undergraduate degree in ES, expect to earn more than a grade.”
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (Environmental Policy) and Anthropology
- On-campus Involvement: SSC, Peace Garden Club, President of IWU Anthropology Club, Alpha Phi Omega, IWU Peace Fellow
- Off-campus Experience: Worked at a canoe outfitters in the Northern Minnesota Boundary Waters and as a Conservation Corps Leader for the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps.
- Studied Abroad: Tanzania through SIT: Zanzibar Coastal Ecology and Natural Resource Management
"A memorable moment was helping organize the Peace Garden Harvest Festival. I really enjoyed spending the afternoon at the garden, enjoying a meal that was created with PG produce, and talking to my professors outside of a classroom setting."
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (Ecology) and a BA in Music
- On-campus Involvement: : Previous volunteering with Peace Garden, Chamber Music, Orchestra, and Composition
- Off-campus Experience: Working on Peony farm in Alaska, WWOOF-ing in Montana, Worker on Maine Appalachian Trail Club-trail maintenance, Composing in the Wilderness Program in Denali Park
- Study Abroad Experience: : SIT Panamá: Tropical Ecology, Marine Ecosystems, and Biodiversity Conservation
“ES:Ecology is a wonderful field to be in, as it instills an inspired awareness about our earth's current situation and what we as humans can do to prevent or heal damage we have done. There are many approaches to spreading awareness as well as endless types of research to be done. Having ES: Ecology as a major truly creates a strong base for whatever may come next in your life.”
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (International Sustainability)
- On-campus Involvement: : Member of SSC
- Off-campus Experience: Intern at the Illinois Green Business Association (Spring 2015), full time position as a project consultant for the Sustainable Seafood Campaign of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Greater Mekong Delta in Vietnam (Summer 2015), and intern at the Green Institute at Heartland College (Fall 2015)
- Study Abroad Experience: DIS - Danish Institution of Study Abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark with a focus on European Sustainability.
- Contact An
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (Policy)
- Minor(s): Political Science
- On-campus Involvement: Co-President of IWU Sierra Student Coalition, Environmental Studies Program Student Assistant, President of Illinois Wesleyan College Democrats
- Off-campus Experience: Interned with Wisconsin Farmers Union (Summer 2014), Recipient of IWU Freeman Asia Internship Program Grant where she interned at Gawad Kalinga (Summer 2015)
- Study Abroad Experience: Philippines (Summer 2015)
"Being able to take what I learn in my ES classes and implementing positive change on our campus through sustainability campaigns has been one of the most valuable experiences of my time at IWU. I believe it is important to be an active participant in our communities and being an Environmental Studies Major has given me the tools to do just that." Contact Kirsten