There are several different way to take your studies off campus. You could travel with fellow IWU students and professors for a semester in London or Madrid, travel to another country for a year or a semester through a study abroad program, enjoy a semester in Chicago through the Urban Studies program, or make a shorter trip during May Term. Explore your many options at the Study Abroad Office.
Abroad for the Semester or the Year
In past years, some of our own English Department faculty have taken students to England through the London Program:
- Kathleen O'Gorman
- Dan Terkla
- Mary Ann Bushman
And several of our English majors have taken semesters in many different countries:
- BethAnne Roberts attended Albert Ludwig Universität in Freiburg, Germany, through the IES program in Spring, 2009.
- Mike Czajkowski attended St. Andrews University in Scotland, through the IFSA-Butler program in Spring, 2009.
- Anne Marquette attended Oxford University in the U.K., through the Pembroke program in 2008-09.
- Lauren Little attended the London Metropolitan University in London, England through the Central Study Abroad program in Fall, 2005.
- Brian Jbara attended the Otago University in Dunedin, New Zealand through the Australearn program in Fall, 2005.
- Sarah Zeller attended the Universidad de Buenos Aires, Universidad Catolica Argentina in Buenos Aires, Argentina through the Butler program in Fall, 2005.
- Anne Wilkinson attended classes in Paris, France through the IES program in Spring, 2006.
- Rachel Slough attended the Universidad de Salamanca in Slamanca, Spain through the IES program in Spring, 2006.
- Courtney Holden attended the University of Nantes in Nantes, France through the IES program in Spring, 2006.
May Term Travel Courses
During IWU's May Term, there are plenty of classes offered right here on campus that can be fun, experimental, and exciting. However, May Term's travel courses are also a great opportunity for students who wish to study abroad but cannot find the resources to do it for a whole semester. Each May, several IWU faculty members take students to far-off places for classes on a variety of subjects. Here are a few of the May Term travel courses our English Department faculty have done in the past:
- Americans in Paris: Right Brains on the Left Bank
- Writing with Archetypes: European Fairy Tales and American Culture
- Hexes, Thugs and Days of Old: The History and Legend of King Arthur
- Writing in Ireland