Professional Educator License (PEL)
The state of Illinois issues a Professional Educator License (PEL) endorsed in the
area and grade level of the program completed. The PEL is valid for five years.
IWU Teaching Programs
IWU offers programs that lead to a Professional Educator License endorsed in the following
- Grades 1-6: Elementary Education
- Grades 9-12: English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science (biology, physics) and Social
- Grades PK-12: World Languages (Spanish); Music education
An endorsement is a teaching field indicated on a Professional Educator License (PEL).
The initial endorsement will be the major field of study in which one completes an
approved program. The initial PEL serves as a foundation to which any teaching endorsement
can be added.
How to Add Subsequent Endorsements
State and IWU requirements:
- Passing score reports on a Content Test, and Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) posted in personal Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) account.
- Bachelor degree earned through completion of IWU state approved teacher education
program with no grade lower than “C-“ in courses required for licensure.
- Completion of student teaching with minimum grade of B and final evaluation score
of 2.81-no category score below “1”.
- Completion of Educ 498 with a minimum grade of C- (secondary/elementary only)
- Educational Studies Department recommendation.
IWU teacher education candidates are recommended for licensure after meeting state
and IWU requirements. Candidates apply for and register the Professional Educator
License through their ELIS account.
Educational Licensure in Other States