Professional Educator License (PEL)
The state of Illinois issues a Professional Educator License (PEL) endorsed in the
area and grade level of the program completed. The PEL is valid for five years.
IWU Teaching Programs
IWU offers programs that lead to a Professional Educator License in the following
- Grades 1-6: Elementary Education
- Grades 9-12: English language arts, mathematics, science (biology, physics) and social
- Grades K-12: Music education
- Grades PK -12: Foreign Language (Spanish)
How to Add Endorsements
State and IWU requirements:
- Passing score reports on a Content Test, and Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) posted in personal Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) account.
- Bachelor degree earned through completion of IWU state approved teacher education
program with no grade lower than “C-“ in courses required for licensure.
- Completion of student teaching with minimum grade of B and final evaluation score
of 2.81-no category score below “1”.
- Completion of Educ 498 with a minimum grade of C- (secondary/elementary only)
- Educational Studies Department recommendation.
IWU teacher education candidates are recommended for licensure after meeting state
and IWU requirements. Candidates apply for and register the Professional Educator
License through their ELIS account.
Educational Licensure in Other States