Professional Educator License (PEL)
The state of Illinois issues a Professional Educator License (PEL) endorsed in the area and grade level of the program completed. The PEL is valid for five years.
IWU Teaching Programs
IWU offers programs that lead to a Professional Educator License in the following teaching fields:
- Grades 1-6: Elementary Education
- Grades 9-12: English language arts, mathematics, science (biology, physics) and social science (history)
- Grades K-12: Music education
- Grades PK -12: Foreign Language (Spanish)
Subsequent Teaching Endorsements can be added to a PEL in the grade range of the original license. Currently IWU offers coursework that leads to a:
State and IWU requirements:
- Passing score reports on a Content Test, and Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) posted in personal Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) account.
- Bachelor degree earned through completion of IWU state approved teacher education program with no grade lower than “C-“ in courses required for licensure.
- Completion of student teaching with minimum grade of B and final evaluation score of 2.81-no category score below “1”.
- Completion of Educ 498 with a minimum grade of C- (secondary/elementary only)
- Educational Studies Department recommendation.
IWU teacher education candidates are recommended for licensure after meeting state and IWU requirements. Candidates apply for and register the Professional Educator License through their ELIS account.
Educational Licensure in Other States