Once a Professional Educator License has been issued and a Target Language Proficiency content test passed, candidates are eligible to apply for an Educator License with Stipulations and add a Transitional Bilingual Educator endorsement to the new license.
The Transitional Bilingual Educator endorsement permits candidates to teach subject matter using the language of the endorsement (for most candidates this will be Spanish) in the grade range for which the Professional Educator License is issued.
1. Access your ELIS account https://sec3.isbe.net/IWASNET/login.aspx .
2. Choose: Apply for Educator License with Stipulations
3. Choose: apply for new license
4. Choose: Transitional Bilingual Educator endorsement
5. Choose the Bilingual Education Teacher with the language for which you seek to be endorsed.
The Educator License with Stipulations is valid for five years. During that time, coursework for the endorsement being sought must be completed. Once coursework is completed, apply through ELIS to add a Bilingual Education Teacher or English as a Second Language Teacher endorsement to your Professional Educator License.
Requirements for the Transitional Bilingual Educator endorsement:
ISBE course requirements for the Bilingual and English as a Second Language Teacher endorsements:
Bilingual Education Teacher
Illinois Wesleyan occasionally offers coursework towards the Bilingual Education Teacher or English as a Second Language Teacher endorsements. Coursework also may be taken elsewhere.