District 87 - Background Check Requirements
IWU clinical students completing field hours, observing, or working as an America Reads Tutor in District 87 schools must complete a name based background check prior to the first day in the field. Students are responsible for the $8.00 fee. Requirements and fees are subject to change.
Clinical Student Name Based Criminal Background Check (CBC)
Submit the following in to Colleen Herald (CLA 345) or to the Educational Studies office (CLA 346) by September 2, 2015.
- Completed and signed Disclosure and Authorization form. Please type responses in the form or print legibly.
- $8.00 cash only (change is not available and checks are not accepted). Envelopes are available outside of CLA 345 and in CLA 346 for collection of the Disclosure and Authorization form and the $8.00 fee. Put your name on the envelope and mark the appropriate district.
You will receive an email from District 87 letting you know when you are cleared to visit the schools. Bring this email with you on your first school visits.
*IWU clinical students who completed a name based background check for District 87 during a previous semester DO NOT repeat the check. However, you must update your school site information on the Student Teacher Information Forms.
Student Teacher Fingerprint Based Criminal Background Check (CHRI)
Student teachers are required to complete the full fingerprint based criminal history records information check. The check is completed in April of the semester prior to student teaching.
Complete steps in order:
- Submit the Student Teaching Packet found on the D87 Human Resources site to Colleen Herald in CLA 345. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- *Note that D87 requires a physical exam (less than 90 days old) which is evidenced by the signed Physicians Certificate found on the last page of the D87 Student Teaching Packet.
- Attend a Criminal Background Check (CBC) clinic hosted by IWU (time tba). Cost is approx. $52.00. Fee will be added to your student account.
- Receive a copy of your D87 CBC through U.S. mail.
- Provide a copy of your signed Physician's Certificate and D87 CBC to Colleen Herald in CLA 345.
I've already completed a background check. Why do I need to do this again?
Due to state and federal law, and individual district policy, candidates must complete a separate check for each district. Some districts may require a new check annually. Students are responsible for all costs.