Completion of all program requirements, including passing state tests, “highly qualifies” you to teach the science of your major (biology, chemistry, or physics) at all levels in grades 9-12, including honors and AP courses. You are also qualified to teach lower level courses across all the sciences (biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, and physics) regardless of your major. This is why all science candidates, regardless of major, are required to complete additional coursework beyond the major and demonstrate competence in the core science standards. To qualify for teaching honors and AP courses in areas of science other than your major, plan on obtaining an additional science content specific endorsement.

The Teacher Education Program (TEP) Handbook provides detailed information about the TEP program, admission requirements, field requirements, and state and university licensure requirements.

Course Requirements

Secondary Education Major

Secondary Education Major/Professional Education (10 units)

Take the courses below in the sequence listed. Refer to the IWU catalog for course prerequisites and restrictions on concurrent enrollment. The professional education courses listed below are used to compute your professional education grade point average (gpa) for TEP and student teaching acceptance. 

First year S Educ 225 Education and Social Justice (CSI)
(or fall semester sophomore year) 
20-25 hours field experience
Sophomore year      F
Educ 255Child Study and Assessment (WI)
Educ 257The Exceptional Child (U) (or fall junior year)
20-25 hours field experience

Junior year* 

Educ 257The Exceptional Child (U)
Educ 363Curriculum and Pedagogy in the Natural Sciences

40-45 hours field experience

Junior year

M Educ 365Reading, Writing, and Communication in the Content Areas  15-20 hours field experience (continues spring placement)
Senior year*

Educ 490Student Teaching Seminar
Educ 495Student Teaching: Secondary Science
Educ 498Educational Inquiry (WI)
15 week full time immersion in the field (continues May placement)

*If planning to travel abroad, do so prior to spring term of junior year, and plan enrollment in 225, 255, and 257 accordingly. Ninth semester graduates delay required 300 level professional education coursework to the senior year, and take Educ 498 prior to student teaching spring semester senior year.

Chemistry Major

Chemistry Major Requirements (11 units)

The requirements below reflect the most recent information from the chemistry department. You are advised to consult the IWU catalog and your chemistry advisor regarding current requirements for your graduating class. The required Chemistry courses listed below are used to compute your major grade point average for TEP and student teaching acceptance.

Chem 201 and Chem 202
Chem 301
Chem 304
Chem 311 and Chem 312
Chem 321
Chem 322
Chem 332
Chem 380

General Chemistry
Quantitative Analysis
Instrumental Analysis
Organic Chemistry 
Physical Chemistry: Thermodynamics
Physical Chemistry: Kinetics
Inorganic Chemistry
Advanced Inorganic Synthesis And Analysis

Select 1 from: 
Chem 317 
Chem 323  
Chem 324  
Chem 413  
Chem 414 
Chem 415 
Chem 432

Survey of Biochemistry
Quantum Mechanics (Phys 304 is prerequisite)
Statistical Physics
Advanced Organic Chemistry
Biochemistry II (W)
Advanced Inorganic Chemistry

Chem 470

Special Topics

Phys 101 and Phys 102 OR
Phys 105 and 
Phys 106

General Physics 
Electricity, Magnetism and Optics

Phys 207 is recommended for students taking Phys 105 & 106.


ISBE Core Science standards require additional courses, specifically the following:

Biol 101 and Biol 102 OR
Biol 107 and Biol 108
General Biology
Human Biology: Anatomy and Physiology

Mathematics and Biology courses are not used to compute your major grade point average for TEP and student teaching acceptance; however you must earn a grade of C- or higher.

Additional Content Specific Endorsements in Science

Science candidates may earn additional high school level content specific endorsements in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, and/or Earth and Space Science by passing the applicable ISBE Content Area test and completing three units of coursework in the discipline. Alternatively, you may qualify by completing another major in the area of the endoresement. A content specific endorsement "highly qualifies" one to teach AP or Honors level courses in one of the above science disciplines.

The four year licensure program rarely allows completion of required endorsement coursework in additional areas such as social science, English, mathematics, or foreign language. (See those program handbook pages for specific endorsement requirements.) Please consult with your Educational Studies advisor, the Director of Teacher Education, or the Assistant Director for Teacher licensure about pursuing additional endorsements.

The Assistant Director for Teacher Licensure verifies the completion of endorsement requirements during the entitlement process. You may add endorsements to your license after graduation and any time during your teaching career by completing state requirements. Applicants apply for additional endorsements using the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).


General Education

IWU General Education

The IWU general education category requirements listed below are met with required major or licensure courses.

Analysis of Values (AV)
PHIL 214, Philosophy of Education (recommended but not required)
Contemporary Social Institutions (CSI)
EDUC 225 (required)
Formal Reasoning (FR)
Consult with your science major advisor regarding recommended mathematics courses for the major.
Life and Physical Science Issues and Lab
Major and licensure requirements
Writing Intensive (WI)
EDUC 255 and 498 courses (required). Additional WI requirements are in the major
U.S. Diversity flag (US)
EDUC 257 (required)