Completion of the secondary education and biology majors and passing all state tests, “highly qualifies” one to teach Biology in grades 9-12, including honors and AP courses. Graduates are also qualified to teach lower level courses across all the sciences (chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, and physics) regardless of major. This is why all science candidates are required to complete additional coursework beyond the major and demonstrate competence in the core science standards. To qualify for teaching honors and AP courses in areas of science other than your major, plan on obtaining an additional science content specific endorsement. Becoming highly qualified to teach departmentalized grades 6-8 requires a middle school endorsement, which is available only to the graduating classes of 2015 and 2016, due to changes in state law.

The Teacher Education Program (TEP) Handbook provides detailed information about the TEP program, admission requirements, field requirements, and state and university licensure requirements.


Secondary Education Major/Professional Education (10 units)

Take the courses below in the sequence listed. Refer to the IWU catalog for course prerequisites and restrictions on concurrent enrollment. The professional education courses listed below are used to compute your professional education grade point average (gpa) for TEP and student teaching acceptance. A gpa of 2.85 is required for program admission; a gpa of 3.0 is required for admission to student teaching. State law specifies a minimum grade of C for any course required for licensure and endorsement, regardless of gpa. 

First year Sp Educ 225Education and Social Justice (SI)
(or fall semester sophomore year) 
20-25 hours field experience
Sophomore year      F
Educ 255Child Study and Assessment (WI)
Educ 257The Exceptional Child (U) (or fall junior year)
20-25 hours field experience

Junior year* 

F Educ 257The Exceptional Child  
Sp Educ 363Curriculum and Pedagogy in the Natural Sciences 40-45 hours field experience
 MT  Educ 365Reading, Writing, and Communication in the Content Areas 15-20 hours field experience (continues spring placement)
Senior year* F Educ 490Student Teaching Seminar
Educ 495Student Teaching: Secondary Science
15 week full time immersion in the field (continues May placement)
  Sp Educ 498 :  Educational Inquiry  (WI)  

*If planning to travel abroad, do so prior to spring term of junior year, and plan enrollment in 225, 255, and 257 accordingly. Ninth semester graduates delay required 300 level professional education coursework to the senior year, and take Educ 498 prior to student teaching spring semester senior year.

Biology Major Requirements (10 units)

The required Biology courses listed below are used to compute the major grade point average for TEP and student teaching acceptance. A gpa of 2.75 is required for TEP admission; a gpa of 3.00 is required for student teaching acceptance. State law specifies a minimum grade of C for any course required for licensure and endorsement, including major courses, regardless of gpa.

Biol 101 and 102 
Biol 217, 219 or 316 (select one)
Biol 306 OR 315 (select one)
Biol 219, 302, 307, 310, 311, 313, 314 (select one)
Biol 312
Biol 240, 314, 317, 330, 407, 410, 412, or 414 (select one)
Biol Electives (three courses)
General Biology
Population, Community or Evolutionary Biology
Plant Biology
Systems or Organismal Biology
Cellular and Molecular Biology
(select three in consultation with advisor) 

One of the ten courses above must have a significant investigative component.  (Select from Biol 217, 302, 314, 326, 327, 328, 330, 399, 407, 411, 412, 495 or 499)

 ISBE Core Science standards require additional courses , specifically the following laboratory courses:

Chem 201 and 202 
Physics 105 and 106 
General Chemistry
Physics I and II (defer until junior year)

Candidates must also complete either Math 161, 165 or equivalent. Consult with your Biology major and Educational Studies advisors regarding the best options.

Additional Content Specific Endorsements in Science

Science candidates may earn additional high school level content specific endorsements in Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, and/or Earth and Space Science by passing the applicable ISBE Content Area test and completing three units of coursework in the discipline. A content specific endorsement "highly qualifies" one to teach AP or Honors level courses in one of the above science disciplines.

IWU General Education

The IWU general education category requirements listed below are met with required major or licensure courses.

Analysis of Values (AV)
PHIL 214, Philosophy of Education (recommended but not required)
Contemporary Social Institutions (CSI)
EDUC 225 (required)
Formal Reasoning (FR)
Math 161, 165 or equivalent
Life and Physical Science Issues and Lab
Major and licensure requirements
Writing Intensive (WI)
EDUC 255 and 498 courses (required). Additional WI requirements are in the major
U.S. Diversity flag
EDUC 257