ACT/SAT in Lieu of Test of Academic Proficiency
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) requires all teacher candidates to submit proof of minimum ACT plus writing/SAT scores OR pass the four subareas of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) to be admitted into a Teacher Education Program.
You may be excused from taking the TAP and instead submit your ACT/SAT scores if the requirements below are met.
- You earned a composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 and a minimum of 19 in Combined English/Writing; or a SAT composite (mathematics and critical reading) score of 1030 and a minimum score of 450 on writing at one test administration.
- Your official ACT/SAT score report cannot be more than ten years old at the time of your application and submission of the ACT/SAT scores to ISBE.
If you do not meet all of the above requirements, you must either (by December sophomore year)
(1) register for and pass the Test of Academic Proficiency, OR
(2) retake the ACT Plus Writing or SAT and earn the required composite scores .
Candidates who meet ACT plus writing/SAT requirements must complete the steps below at the time you apply to the Teacher Education Program. For most of you, that is April of the sophomore year. ISBE instructions are here.
Step 1) Set up an account in ELIS. ACT/SAT scores will not be accepted if an ELIS account has not been set up.
- First set up an IWAS account at: https://sec3.isbe.net/IWASNET/sign_up.aspx
- Then set up an ELIS account here: https://sec3.isbe.net/IWASNET/login.aspx. Use the login and password you set up in IWAS.
Step 2) Apply to the Teacher Education Program, generally in the spring of your sophomore year.
Step 3) Request that ACT or SAT send an official score report to the Illinois State Board of Education. Note: any ACT or SAT score report that lacks a writing component will not be accepted.
ACT Results: Use code 3001. ACT is aware of the appropriate mailing address when code 3001 is used. You may also call 319‐337‐1313 and request your ACT results be mailed to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Certification, 100 North First Street, S‐306, Springfield, IL 62777.
SAT Results: There is no agency code for SAT results. Request that they be mailed to the Illinois State Board of Education,Division of Educator Certification, 100 North First Street, S‐ 306, Springfield, IL 62777.
Step 4) Login to ELIS 2-3 weeks after requesting scores to be sent to ISBE. You can verify that score reports have been received.
Updated May 16, 2014.