News from IWU Chemistry Department
Professor Roesner wins Iota Sigma Pi Teaching Award
Chemistry students named collegiate scholars
Dr. Becky Roesner is winner of the 2014 Kemp Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence.
Illinois Wesleyan Mourns the Loss of Wendell Hess
Senior Chemistry Major Neil Baldwin named ACS Scholar.
- Congrats to Dr. Brian Brennan on tenure and promotion to associate professor.
Susanna Widicus (Class of 2000) continues to do well at Emory University. She recently received a highly competitive NSF Career grant.
- Scott Krabbe (Class of 2010), who is currently pursuing his PhD in Professor Jeff Johnson's group at The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, has exciting news to share. Scott has been selected to do a six-month internship at GlaxoSmithKline, where he will be working on asymmetric ketone reductions using cheap metals. Scott will be learning to use their solid dispensing robot which can be programmed to set up over 100 reactions for high throughput screening. They also have some very high-power computing software to pinpoint the significance of changing reaction parameters. Scott, a chemistry major, did honors research in Professor Mohan's laboratory while at IWU.
- Maggie Olson (Class of 2010) was selected to receive an American Chemical Society Women Chemists Committee / Eli Lilly & Co. travel grant to the Fall 2012 ACS National Meeting. Some IWU faculty and students had a chance to attend Maggie's poster presentation. It was a proud moment for IWU faculty and students to meet and interact with such a successful alumna. Maggie, a biology major, did research in Professor Mohan's laboratory and also a summer internship in Thailand. Maggie is currently pursuing her PhD in Medicinal Chemistry at The University of Minnesota (in Professor Dan Harki's group).
Professor Brian Brennan receives a major NIH Grant for his research on sickle cell disease
The Chemistry Department is very excited to receive a grant from NSF to purchase a new 400 MHz NMR spectrometer
- Professor Ram Mohan receives a Fulbright grant to travel to India and offer courses and lectures on Green Chemistry
- Alumna Alison Redden (Class of 2005) Reports Some Exciting Green Chemistry Work She Has Carried Out as Graduate Student at Washington University
- Dr. Mohan Receives ACS-PRF Grant For His New Work Using Iron Compounds as Catalysts in Organic Synthesis
- The Chemistry Department welcomes Dr. Manori Perera, who will be joining us in the Fall as an analytical chemist. Stay tuned for more updates and links to her research.
- Three Chemistry Majors Selected as 2010 Illinois Heartland American Chemical Society Collegiate Scholars
- Matt Spafford, Senior Chemistry Major named as 2009 Illinois Heartland American Chemical Society (ACS) Collegiate Scholar.
- Dr. Melinda Baur joins the IWU faculty as a biochemist. Meet her here.
- Dr. Ram Mohan's review article in the journal Tetrahedron, co-authored with Dr. Janet Scott, is recognized as one of the top 50 most cited articles in the journal between 2004 and 2007.