The Hart Career Center is dedicated to assisting students with their career goals.
The Hart Career Center provides 4 main areas of support for students at IWU:
- Career Guidance & Exploration
- Internship Assistance
- Graduate & Professional School Preparation
- Job Search & Employment Assistance
We know that families play a large role in influencing a student’s career decision-making, positive adjustment to college, development of self-confidence and autonomy. We are excited to partner with you as your student decides on a career path to follow.
What can you do to support your child?
As a parent, spend time talking and listening:
- Help identify your students' strengths & passions
- Encourage student to explore their interests through:
- Taking introductory courses
- Engaging in job shadows or informational interviews
- Attending Career Center workshops and events
- Getting involved in campus groups
- Volunteering in the community
- Support your students' campus involvement balanced with academic achievement (grades DO matter!)
- Emphasize internships and leadership roles (employers look for both of these)
- Activate and share your network (Are you LinkedIn? Share your professional connections)
- Help them think widely about their future options
- Encourage your students to visit the Career Center - EARLY and OFTEN
from our experience, Successful students tend to:
Get “Practical!” - Participate in career relevant experiences like internships, job shadowing, volunteering, and leadership roles.
Visit the Career Center for assistance
Take advantage of networking opportunities
Practice and develop interviewing skills
Learn more with Parent Resources from NACE (National Association of Colleges and Employers)
How can you help support other Illinois Wesleyan students?
Ways to help:
Offer Information – Parents, alumni and volunteers can assist with their career development by offering to:
- Provide career information by talking with a student about your career or place of employment (in person, over the phone or email)
- Allow students to shadow you in your professional role or take a tour of your work site
- Speak on campus about your field, your experiences or share your areas of expertise
- Participate in the Career Center’s practice interview program
Offer an Internship – We are always looking to add to our database of opportunities!
Recruit for a job – If you or your place of employment would be interested in hiring IWU students after graduation, we’d love to help with our campus interview program and job posting service.