First Year Leadership Institute
The First Year Leadership Institute is an opportunity for first year students to get more involved with the IWU campus and learn the basics of leadership. Throughout the program, you will have the opportunity to make connections with your fellow students, learn more about how you lead and what it means to be a leader, and receive support from the Office of Student Activities and Leadership programs. The First Year Leadership institute is a six-week program that starts off with a retreat on the Saturday of Turning Titan and includes 4-5 sessions that delve deeper into various leadership topics.
In aligning with our institutional mission, this program will provide a unique opportunity for first year students to work on their leadership skills. This program will encourage you to explore creativity, strengthen critical thinking, establish effective communication, and build their character.
First-Year Leadership Institute Sessions:
Retreat- The Saturday before the start of Fall Term there will be the kick-off retreat for the First Year Leadership Institute. At this retreat there will be team building, general discussions about leadership, and a chance to meet members of the program and the incoming class.
Training Sessions- There will be an array of sessions focusing on different areas of leadership, as well as the outcomes of the program. These sessions will be 3 hours within the first six weeks of classes.
- Participants will be able to create their own definition of leadership.
- Identify various areas of leadership on campus
- Participants will be able will be able to identify how their involvement relates to their values
- Participants will be able to identify and articulate their values
- Participants will be aware of how identity effects how they lead
- Participants will understand the importance of having diverse experiences through inclusive practices on a team