News for and about the Illinois Wesleyan community
Monday, Dec. 16
Through Friday, Dec. 20 – 4 o'clock hours
– Offices will close at 4 p.m. daily until the Winter Break.
Tuesday, Dec. 17
• 7 p.m., Shirk Center – Men's Basketball vs. Blackburn; the game will be live streamed.
Thursday, Dec. 19
• 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Young Main Lounge, Memorial Center – Staff Forum – A staff forum is scheduled to review and discuss some of the information concerning the budgeting and enrollment models discussed in recent Staff Council and SPBC meetings.
• 7 p.m., Shirk Center – Women's Basketball vs. Calvin; the game will be live streamed.
Friday, Dec. 20
• 4 p.m. – Final grades due
Monday, Dec. 23 - Wednesday, Jan. 1
Campus Offices will be closed for Winter Break, reopening at 8 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 2.
Winter Break facility hours – find hours for fitness and dining facilities and The Ames Library through Tuesday, Jan. 7. (Classes begin Wednesday, Jan. 8.)
Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014
• 7 p.m., Shirk Center – Men's Basketball vs. Franklin College; the game will be live streamed.
> Find more IWU events on the Campus Calendar.
Don't see your event? Submit the information online.
Liberal Arts Colloquium
If you missed the Nov. 19 colloquium by Provost Jonathan Green, "Broadly & Deeply: The Past, Present & Possible Future of Liberal Education," you can watch it on YouTube – along with Homecoming 2013 Back to College Classes – or listen to audio of Green's remarks.
Snow and Ice Procedures
Please do not put snow and ice removal requests into SchoolDude. Please call Physical Plant at 556-3066 during our regular hours: Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, please call Security at 556-1111 for an emergency, and they will contact someone from Physical Plant.
• Assistant Professor of Biology Edgar Lehr, with Alessandro Catenazzi, published "Thermal Physiology, Disease, and Amphibian Declines on the Eastern Slopes of the Andes," in Conservation Biology. Read coverage by Phys.org.
• Professor of Physics Gabe Spalding has been elected to Fellowship in the American Physical Society, recognizing his contributions to physics laboratory instruction.
• Associate Professor of Hispanic Studies Cesar Valverde presented his paper, "Gothic Doom and the Latin American Boom: Industrialization and its Discontent," at the first International Conference on Literature and Gothic Studies, Dark Latitudes: Mapping Gothic Sites and Mediums, held at the University of Costa Rica Dec. 10-11.
• Deanne Bryant, adjunct faculty in the IWU School of Music and former orchestra director at Normal Community High School, received the NCHS Alumni Foundation's Ironmen Award for Service to NCHS, The Pantagraph reported. She is to be honored at the NCHS Winter Orchestra Concert tonight (Dec. 16), where she will also serve as guest conductor
• Heather Priedhorsky '15 was featured as the END7 student of the month. She wrote about her student organization, Creativity For Change, and their fundraiser to help the cause of ending 7 diseases by 2020.
• Jordan Jeffers '09 has self-published a novel, The Towers.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
Rietz '07 Receives 2013 Cefalo Award
Ashley (Watson) Rietz earned a Robert C. Cefalo House Officer Award from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, recognizing her exemplary service to patients and families, high standards of care and professional performance.
Alumni Recognized by Sigma Alpha Iota
Three members of Sigma Alpha Iota music fraternity -- Christina Hoblin '13, Margaret Fox '04, and Martha Dodds Stoner '69 -- received awards from the national fraternity.
Fashion-Savvy Student Makes the Cover
The fashion statements of acting major Priscilla Moy '15 brought her to the attention -- and the cover -- of Keel, an international fashion magazine.
• Three members of the Illinois Wesleyan football team were named to the 2013 All-North Region Team as selected by D3football.com
> Find highlights at
Titans In The News
Prof. William Munro recalls growing up in South Africa and voting for Nelson Mandela. Also hear an interview on WGLT Radio, or see coverage by the Associated Press.
(Melbourne, Australia) Herald Sun
Dawn Upshaw '82 is in the running for her 5th Grammy, nominated this year for best classical vocal solo -- one of four nods for the album Winter Morning Walks.
Award-winning journalist Dave Kindred '63 has been selected for induction into the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
Lincoln Laureate Josi Banales '14 says she is happy to be a role model for people of color.
Prof. Gabe Spalding will be awarded for his part in advancing undergraduate laboratory instruction across the country.
Hart Career Center Staff Counselor Robyn Walter offered advice for students selecting a college major.
> More Titans in the News
Abandoned Bike Policy
The Bike Committee has adopted a policy for identifying and dealing with abandoned bikes on campus.
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
Spring Fitness Classes
The 2014 spring fitness class schedule begins on Jan. 6.
Please remember that if you participated in the fall session, we still need you to register for the spring session. You will need your IWU login ID and password to register. If you have an immediate family member(s) who would like to participate and they have never registered for fitness classes online, please have them contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patricia Ficca '68, wife of Emeritus Professor of Theatre Arts John Ficca, died Dec. 5. Read an obituary.
Get Your Titan Gifts
The Illinois Wesleyan bookstore has a variety of items for the holiday season. Check out these Titan Gift Ideas.
Explore Wesleyan in Videos
Goal: $125 million
Progress: $118.5 million
Updated November 2013
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, email email@example.com.