• Monday, Aug. 27, 12 p.m., Henning Room, Memorial Center -- The Assessment Committee will present a Faculty Non-Org.
• Wednesday, Aug. 29, 7 p.m., Evelyn Chapel -- At "Introducing Hindu Gods and Goddesses Through Dance," community leader and dance teacher Uma Kallakuri will lead her students in lively traditions of Indian dance and storytelling at this multicultural event. All are welcome.
• Thursday, Aug. 30, 4 - 6 p.m., Eckley Quad -- The RSO Fair will showcase active Registered Student Organizations on campus.
• Thursday, Aug. 30, 7 p.m., Westbrook Auditorium, Presser Hall -- Week of Welcome activities for students will include a campus-wide Festival of Talents.
• Friday, Aug. 31, 7 p.m., Hansen Student Center -- Fraternity and Sorority Life and the Residence Hall Association will sponsor "The Price is Right."
• Friday & Saturday, Aug. 31 & Sept. 1 -- Men's and women's cross country, soccer and the Titan football team make their home game debuts for the fall season. See www.iwusports.com for complete schedule information.
• Saturday, Sept. 1, 8 p.m., Hansen Student Center -- Natalie Stovall will perform.
• Monday, Sept. 3 -- Labor Day (no classes).
Find more events on the new Campus Calendar.
Illinois Wesleyan is undergoing its periodic re-accreditation by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. For the past three years the University has been engaged in a campus-wide self-study; the resulting report can be viewed at www.iwu.edu/selfstudy/. A team of colleagues representing HLC will visit campus Oct. 1-3.
As part of this comprehensive review, the HLC asks that we invite all University constituencies to provide their comments on the quality of the University and its academic programs.
Comments must be received by the HLC no later than September 1 and may be submitted electronically or in writing to:
Public Comment on Illinois Wesleyan University
The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604
McLane Wins Starkey Award
Instructional Technologist Patrick McLane is the 2012 winner of the Max L. Starkey Service Award, nominated by his peers for extraordinary service to Illinois Wesleyan.
• Five Illinois Wesleyan women's swimmers have achieved Scholar All-American honors, as selected by the College Swimming Coaches Association of America.
> Find more highlights at www.iwusports.com
Titans In The News
Wesleyan's new classroom building is a year away, but excitement is already growing as the structure takes shape.
Professor of Physics Linda French discussed the Curiosity mission on Mars.
Peoria Journal Star
David Getz '12 was named orchestra teacher and director at Morton High School and Junior High for the 2012-2013 school year.
> See more media reports about Illinois Wesleyan and its students, faculty, staff and alumni.
Finding a sustainable commute by catching public transportation just got much easier: The Bloomington-Normal Public Transit System is now Connect Transit. You can see where buses are in real time online, or download the DoubleMap app for your smartphone.
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
• Artwork by three Illinois Wesleyan faculty members is on display in the new Uptown Station in Normal:
Paintings by Director of the School of Art and Professor of Art Miles Bair, "Spring" and "Water Garden I and II."
Two giclée print pieces by Professor of Art Sherri McElroy, "This Ain't My First Time at the Rodeo" and "I Like Who I Am, Mirror Broken."
- A fused glass and wooden window sculpture by Kevin Strandberg entitled "Gust."
• Chair and Professor of Hispanic Studies Christina Isabelli and alumna Rachel Slough '07 published the article, "Acquisition of the non-generic definite article by Spanish learners of English as a foreign language," in Onomázein, volume 25, pp. 95-105.
• Falling, a new play by Deanna Jent '84, will make its Off-Broadway premiere at Minetta Lane Theatre. Jent is the Artistic Director of Mustard Seed Theatre in St. Louis, Mo., and a professor of theatre at Fontbonne University.
• Bee-line Communications, a global strategic marketing communications firm owned by Stacey McClenathan '92, was named to the 2012 Inc. Magazine 500/5000 list of the fastest growing privately held companies.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
Welcome New Employees
• Mary Bible, an IWU retiree, returned to campus Aug. 13 as data entry operator in the Office of Residential Life, replacing Kate Grey.
• Kim Hill began Aug. 20 as senior communications specialist in the Office of Communications, replacing Rachel Hatch.
• Amy Young began Aug. 20 as video production specialist in the Office of Communications.
If you mised them at the Faculty and Staff Breakfast, learn about all the New Faces, New Places who came to IWU during the past year.
> Find current IWU job openings.
Goal: $125 million
Progress: $ 98 million
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, or to unsubscribe, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.