• Tuesday-Sunday, Aug. 21-26 -- The Class of 2016 and transfer students will arrive for Turning Titan: New Student Orientation.
• Friday, Aug. 24, 8 a.m., Young Main Lounge, Memorial Center -- A breakfast buffet will be followed by remarks from President Richard F. Wilson at the annual Faculty-Staff Breakfast. A highlight will include announcement of the Max L. Starkey Award winner. The breakfast will be followed by the Fall Faculty Conference in CNS.
• Saturday, Aug. 25, 7-8 p.m., Hansen Student Center -- Faculty and staff and their families are invited to enjoy the Titan Carnival.
Find more events on the new Campus Calendar.
Memorial Center Meeting Rooms
Seating in Memorial Center meeting rooms has been reconfigured:
• Faculty Lounge: U-shape for up to 16
• Dug Out Conference Room: Boardroom for up to 12
• Titan Room: Boardroom for up to 16
Room reservations can be requested through R25.
If you need your faculty-staff portrait taken or updated, University Photographer Marc Featherly will be set up for a portrait session, by appointment, from 9-noon and 1-5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 23 in the Titan Room, Memorial Center. Please contact ext. 3217 or email@example.com for an appointment time.
• Watch the video from Titan Football Media Day 2012 to the outlook on the coming season.
> Find more highlights at www.iwusports.com
Titans In The News
James Harms '67 is lauded as "one of those great Chicago actors who carry the weight and dignity of the city and their profession on their backs."
Professor of Physics Gabe Spalding describes his research, which may allow the sculpting of light to kill tumors and pain centers while preserving surrounding healthy tissue.
This year's Habitat House to be built by the Illinois State-Illinois Wesleyan chapter will be a LEED home (meeting Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards).
The State Journal-Register
Former Miss Illinois Whitney Thorpe-Klinsky '10 is now in her second year at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.
Dreamworks Chief Creative Officer Bill Damashcke '85 describes what it takes to make a successful film and keep sequels and spin-offs fresh.
> See more media reports about Illinois Wesleyan and its students, faculty, staff and alumni.
Take Back the Tap
The Sierra Student Coalition (SSC) is offering free IWU water bottles to incoming students who pledge not to buy single-use plastic bottles. The IWU bottles will be available during orientation week, while supplies last.
The SSC received funding from Student Senate for two hydration stations to be placed in CNS and Presser Hall for students to refill their bottles, as part of an ongoing campaign to "take back the tap."
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
• Professor of Mathematics Tian-Xiao He published the following:
- "Eulerian polynomials and B-splines." Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 236 (2012), 3763-3773.
- "A note on Horner's method.'' (with P. J.-S. Shiue), Journal Concrete and Applicable Mathematics, 10 (2012), no. 1-2, 53–64.
• Professor of Physics Gabe Spalding co-chaired the recent SPIE Optics + Photonics Conference on Optical Trapping and Manipulation, where Michael Berns, co-founder of the Beckman Laser Institute, was honored.
• Artwork by Joseph Knox '08 is featured in an exhibit, "Off the Streets," at the Jackson Junge Gallery in Chicago. He was among six talented local artists "chosen for their distinction among the masses" who represent the current artistic vibe of the Wicker Park neighborhood.
• School of Music Operations Coordinator Stephanie Kohl Ringle and alumnus Michael Wolf '08 are among members of the Multicultural Leadership Program.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
John O'Leary, former visiting professor of English and resident poet at Illinois Wesleyan from 2001-03, drowned after a sailing accident in the North Atlantic near his home in Allihies, West Cork, Ireland on Aug. 13.
> Find current IWU job openings.
Goal: $125 million
Progress: $98 million
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, or to unsubscribe, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.