Illinois Wesleyan Emergency Procedures
General Evacuation Procedures
- Building evacuations will occur when the fire alarm sounds continuously and/or when notified by Security personnel.
- Know the marked exits for your building. Know the exit routes from your work area.
- Leave the building immediately if an alarm sounds or if directed to do so by Security personnel.
- Notify emergency personnel of persons with disabilities who are in the building and cannot evacuate.
- Do not use elevators in case of fire.
- Once outside, move to a clear area a safe distance from and within sight of the building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. If requested, assist emergency personnel. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by Security or emergency personnel.
Security: x1111 or 556-1111
Fire - 911
Ambulance - 911
- For help with any type of emergency, phone 911 or Security at x1111
- Explain the problem and location to the Officer.
- Do not hang up until told to do so.
In cases of emergency, notification and communication will be done in a variety of ways. Messages will be broadcast through the campus-wide phone systems as well as campus email and my.iwu. The IWU alert system will also be employed to notify students, faculty and staff through cell phone, home phone or other designated number. To update your information for the IWU alert, click on the “Personal Information” link on the front page of my.iwu.
The University Communications staff members will direct communication with the media and in most cases, the University Communications staff or the President will speak on behalf of the university. In emergency situations, when media personnel need information, please direct them to the office of University Communication at x3181.