TRADITIONAL HALLS

Residential living is an important part of the Illinois Wesleyan University experience. Traditional residence halls provide students with opportunities to interact and build relationships with a large, diverse group of peers, while still maintaining close ties with a smaller group of floor-, wing- or suitemates.

For specific information about a hall's policies or amenities, please see the "Residence Halls: At A Glance" page. First-Year students begin their stay at IWU in Dolan, Ferguson, Gulick or Munsell Halls. All other residence halls will house upperclass students.

Dodds exterior

DODDS HALL

Dodds Hall opened in 1970. The hall was dedicated to an outstanding alumnus, Glenn W. Dodds, for his distinguished service to secondary education. A former IWU staff member, Mr. Dodds' family owned the original property on which Dodds Hall was built. This four-story hall has a capacity of 153 and offers a suite-living concept in a fully carpeted, air-conditioned setting. Each suite contains a living room and four student rooms accommodating eight residents who share common bath facilities with an adjoining suite. Both double-occupancy rooms and a limited number of singles are available. Formal and recreational lounges complete this unique residence hall. New, stackable, versatile furniture was added to Dodds in 1998 and the building was completely renovated during the summer of 2000, including the installation of network and cable to each room.

Interior pictures

Dolan exterior

DOLAN HALL

Dolan Hall, erected in 1955, accommodates 123 first-year students. Named in honor of Ned E. Dolan, a long-time member and president of the Board of Trustees, Dolan Hall has long been associated with an active student government, providing a wide variety of programs and activities for its residents. The building has double-occupancy rooms and both formal and recreational lounges. During the summer of 1996, Dolan Hall student rooms were completely renovated.

Interior pictures

Ferguson exterior

FERGUSON HALL

Ferguson Hall, erected in 1963, was named in honor of Dr. Wilbert Ferguson and his daughter Constance, both of whom served on the faculty for many years. This seven-story, high-rise facility with a capacity for 149 first-year students, provides a number of conveniences, most notably single and double-occupancy rooms on each of the six living floors, floor study lounges, both formal and informal lounges, computer room, study room, and a large recreation room with a pool table and ping-pong. An active hall government provides numerous educational and social programs each year. Ferguson is connected by an indoor walkway to the Memorial Center. During the summer of 1998, Ferguson Hall was completely renovated. On each residential level, Ferguson is connected to Munsell Hall by a lounge space incorporating social space and a kitchen area.

Interior pictures

Gulick exterior

GULICK HALL

Gulick Hall, built in 1956, accommodates 135 primarily first-year students. Named in honor of Mrs. Anna Gulick, a long-time resident of Bloomington and generous friend of the University, the hall has housed men and women students over the years. The formal lounge has a frequently used fireplace. A generously-sized recreational room houses a variety of games including foosball, a pool table and ping-pong. During the summers of 1997 and 1998, Gulick Hall underwent renovations to student rooms and public areas.

Interior pictures

Harriett exterior

HARRIETT FULLER RUST HOUSE

Harriett House completes the Dodds/Dolan/Magill housing quadrangle. It is the first new residence hall built on the IWU campus since 1970 and was opened in the Fall of 1997 and named after Harriett Fuller Rust, a beloved trustee and benefactor of the IWU Community. This four-story coed hall features suites to accommodate 4, 6 or 8 students for a total capacity of 118 men and women in spacious double rooms with walk-in closets. The building is equipped with four fireplace lounges, a study room, a baby grand piano, four common-area kitchens, a recreation room, and two two-story townhouses. Harriett House houses primarily upper-division students.

Interior pictures

Magill exterior

MAGILL HALL

Magill Hall, constructed in 1948, was named in honor of Hugh S. Magill, Class of 1894, and his brother S. Lincoln Magill. Magill is popular with upperclass students because of its large student rooms. This three-story building of 105 men and women provides large double-occupancy rooms with abundant storage space. During the summer of 1996, Magill Hall student rooms were renovated, and in the summer of 1999 the Magill basement was completely renovated to include a kitchen, computer room, recreation lounge and study area.

Interior pictures

Martin exterior

MARTIN HALL

Martin Hall was acquired in August of 1999 by IWU when the Mennonite College of Nursing merged with Illinois State University. For many years, the building served as home to Mennonite nursing students as well as the College's administrative offices. Martin Hall was renovated, and network and cable was installed in all student rooms before IWU students moved in for the first time in Fall 1999. An extensive renovation of student rooms and public areas took place during the summer of 2000. Martin has a strong co-ed community and houses 100 upperclass students on four floors. Pool, foosball and ping-pong tables can be found in its extensive common areas. Additionally, the hall has three kitchen areas conveniently located on the ground, second and third floors.

Interior pictures

Munsell exterior

MUNSELL HALL

Munsell Hall, another seven-story high-rise, accommodates 204 first-year students. Munsell Hall was named for Oliver Spencer Munsell, President from 1857 to 1873, and his brother, Charles W. C. Munsell. Opened in 1966, this centrally air-conditioned facility offers double and single-occupancy rooms. Munsell Hall was completely renovated during the summer of 1999. On each residential level, Munsell is connected to Ferguson Hall by a lounge space incorporating social space and a kitchen area.

Interior pictures

Pfeiffer exterior

PFEIFFER HALL

Pfeiffer Hall, erected in 1948, has a capacity of 129 spaces for upperclass men and women. This three-story hall, named in honor of Annie Merner Pfeiffer, a generous benefactress of the University, provides predominantly double-occupancy rooms with a spattering of single-, triple- and quadruple-occupancy rooms. Large rooms, comfortable lounges and its physical connection to the Memorial Center have contributed much to the popularity of this residence hall. Pfeiffer Hall was renovated in the summer of 1997.

Interior pictures

 


ORL Seal mark Our mission is facilitating enjoyable, sustainable and inclusive communities that support and enhance students' academic achievement and personal development.