October 1, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Illinois Wesleyan University’s Division of Student Affairs invites students not only to embrace their roots, but to welcome them to campus for Family Weekend 2008. Themed “It’s All Relative,” this fall’s celebration begins Friday, Oct. 24 and runs through Sunday, Oct. 26.
To register for Family Weekend, please visit www.iwu.edu/familyweekend. Fees are $12 per person not including the cost of football tickets. Registration will be held in the Hansen Student Center (300 E. Beecher St., Bloomington) on Friday, Oct. 24 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 25 from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Following is a list of this year’s activities.
• Oct. 24, 8 p.m. & 11 p.m. — WALL-E, the story of a waste-collecting robot whose journey into space holds unexpected consequences for the human race, will be presented in the Hansen Student Center.
• Oct. 25, 8:30-9:30 a.m. — A continental breakfast will be held in the commons area of the Center for Natural Science Learning and Research (CNS) (201 E. Beecher St., Bloomington).
• Oct. 25, 9:30-10:30 a.m. — “While Your Student’s Still Sleeping” (CNS C101): Associate Professor and Business Administration Department Chair Robert Kearney will give parents a glimpse of the IWU experience. Also speaking will be a recipient of the Parent Fund.
• Oct. 25, 9:30-10:30 a.m. — “The Magic of Chemistry” (CNS C102): Chemistry students and faculty members will put on an explosive display for children and young adults.
• Oct. 25, 11a.m.-12 p.m. — “Sounds of IWU” will feature music students performing in the Westbrook Auditorium of Presser Hall (1210 N. Park St., Bloomington).
• Oct. 25, 12:30-2 p.m. — The “Family Reunion” picnic lunch will be held at the Shirk Center (302 E. Emerson St., Bloomington).
• Oct. 25, 1:30-3:30 p.m. — PreShrunk, IWU’s student-run, sustainable thrift store, will host an open house in the lower level of Adams Hall (1401 N. Main St., Bloomington). To receive a Family Weekend discount, donate a bag of clothes, shoes or other saleable items.
• Oct. 25, 3:30-5:30 p.m. — The president’s reception, hosted by the Parent Board, will be held in the Young Main Lounge in the Memorial Center (104 University St., Bloomington). The whole family is welcome to attend.
• Oct. 25, 6-8:30 p.m. — Cheer on the Titan football team as they host the Elmhurst Bluejays at Wilder Field (300 E. Kelsey St., Bloomington). The Parent Fund will hold a 50/50 raffle at halftime.
• Oct. 25, 9 p.m. — Mission IMPROVable, a nationwide college favorite, will put on its family-friendly improv comedy show in the Hansen Student Center. For more information on the group, visit http://www.missionimprovable.com.
• Oct. 26, 10 a.m. — IWU Chaplain Hope Luckie will lead a multi-denominational service related to the Family Weekend theme “It’s All Relative.”
• Oct. 26, 12-1 p.m. — A family brunch will be held at the Bertholf Commons in the Memorial Center.
For additional information on Family Weekend, please contact Kevin Clark, assistant dean of students, at email@example.com.
Contact: Nicole Travis ’11, (309) 556-3181