Neurosurgeon Ann Stroink, a 1976 graduate, is senior partner of Central Illinois Neuro Health Sciences.
More than 80 percent of our pre-med graduates are admitted to medical school on their first try, compared to just 50 percent nationally for all majors.
At Illinois Wesleyan, pre-med students receive the strongest science preparation possible.
As at most universities, students at Illinois Wesleyan University do not major in pre-medicine. Instead, students will major in their primary field of interest, while also working to complete the courses required by the pre-medicine program.
Pre-Medicine at Illinois Wesleyan — Our Advantages
- Close interaction between students and faculty, which is critical for the development of strong candidates for admission into professional schools.
- The Medical Extern Program pairs students with a local physician, often an Illinois Wesleyan alum, as a mentor you can observe at work.
- Many opportunities for lab experience, working with top-quality scientific equipment and pursuing independent research projects under the supervision of Ph.D. professors.
- Our Pre-Medical Advisory Committee assists students in all aspects of applying to professional programs, including advising, in-depth interviews and the writing of thoughtful, thorough letters of evaluation.
As a result, we have had great success in placing many of our students into a large variety of medical schools
Loni Walker, chair of the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee
Courses Required for Pre-Medicine:
- General Biology
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- General Physics
Additional Courses Recommended:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Topics in Cell Biology
- Electricity, Magnetism and Optics
- Experimental Zoology
- Molecular Genetics
- The Microbial World
- Biostatistics and Experimental Design
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
Your Educational Future
A sampling of the medical schools admitting our recent graduates includes:
- Baylor University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Creighton University
- Dartmouth College
- Duke University
- Indiana University
- Loma Linda University
- Loyola University Chicago
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Michigan State University
- New York Medical College
- Northwestern University
- Penn State University
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- Rush University
- Saint Louis University
- Southern Illinois University
- University of California-Davis
- University of Chicago
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- University of Florida
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Iowa
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- University of Missouri
- University of Nebraska
- University of New Mexico
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas Southwestern
- University of Toledo
- University of Virginia
- Vanderbilt University
- Wake Forest University
- Washington University in Saint Louis