Explanation of the Concentration: As with other concentrations within the International Studies rubric, the Latin American Studies Concentration requires students to complete four core courses:
Language Proficiency: Spanish 280. Students who also wish to pursue a major or minor in Hispanic Studies will meet the requirements in the major or minor.
Five additional courses to be selected from sections A and B with at least two from each.
A. Fine Arts and Humanities:
- Literature and Culture 135: Special Topics in Hispanic Literature & Translation*
- Music 250: Special Topic: Latin American Music and Dance
- Music 268: Latin American Music
- Religion 270: Special Topics*
- Religion 304: Latin American Religions
- Spanish 305: Travel Seminar*
- Religion 307: Voodoo, Santería and Candomblé
- Spanish 360: Special Topics in Media and Film*
- Spanish 470: Special Topics in Hispanic Studies*
- Spanish 478: Latin American Literature. Short Narrative and Essay
- Spanish 488: Latin American Literature. The Novel
- Spanish 490: Senior Seminar*
B. Social Sciences:
- Economics 352: International Finance
- History 160: Latin America
- History 260: Spanish North America
- History 360: Modern Brazil, 1825-Present
- Political Science 320: Latin American Politics
- Spanish 316: Latin American Culture & Civilization
- Spanish 320: Studies in Cultural History*
- Spanish 330/350: Studies in Hispanic Literature and Culture*
- Spanish 403: History of Spanish Language
*Accepted only when topic or main focus is on Latin America.
At least two courses must be at the 300-400 level.