Committed IWU to the Talloires Declaration on April 13th, 2007. The Sierra Student Coalition collaborated with President Wilson, Provost Cunningham, faculty, staff, and students to tailor the document to the needs and capabilities of Illinois Wesleyan University.
- The Talloires Declaration is a 10-point action plan, signed by university Presidents and Chancellors, to incorporate sustainability and environmental literacy in teaching, research, operations, and outreach at a specific university. As of March, 2006, 329 colleges spanning 49 countries on 5 continents have signed this declaration.
- Requires LEED methods or certification as one of the points on a 19-point checklist when evaluating architectural or construction proposals.
- Emphasized sustainability as a priority for campus in remarks to the Board of Trustees.
- Directed the Cabinet to find opportunities for incorporating sustainable practices in their areas of responsibility (see links on the left and this report for summaries of these activities).
- Signed the Illinois Sustainable University Compact on July 22, 2009. After the Governor signs it, a scanned copy of the document will be posted here.
Last updated: August 13, 2009