Elementary Education

Certification Course Requirements

Elementary candidates major in Educational Studies to earn a certificate for teaching grades K-9. Upon completing the approved program and taking all ISBE tests, you will earn an Elementary (type 03) certificate.  You will be “highly qualified” to teach in self-contained elementary grades (K-9).

Professional Education / Educational Studies Major

The courses below must be taken in the sequence listed. Electives may be taken at any time.  Students must receive a grade of C or higher in all professional education/educational studies major coursework.

Freshman Educ 225 Education and Social Justice  (SI)
Sophomore Educ 255 Child Study and Assessment (WI)
Educ 257 The Exceptional Child (U)
or Senior
Educ 260 Middle School Philosophy
(elective; required for Middle School Endorsement)
Junior Educ 301 Social Studies Inquiry and Democratic Learning Environments
Educ 303 Integrating Fine Arts Across the Curriculum
Educ 305 Curriculum and Pedagogy across the Natural Sciences
Educ 320 Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication
Educ 325 Curriculum, Pedagogy, and Technology
in K-8 Mathematics
Senior, fall Educ 490 Student Teaching Seminar (1 unit)
Educ 496 Student Teaching (3 units)
Senior, spring** Educ 498 Educational Inquiry (WI)

**Ninth semester graduates only may take Educ 498 prior to student teaching during the spring semester of the senior year, with department approval.

Minor Requirement for Elementary Candidates

To ensure depth of disciplinary study a minor in one of the following disciplines is required for students in the graduating class of 2013 and beyond. (See IWU catalog for minor requirements).  Candidates who elect to complete a second major do not need an additional minor.

  • Social Science:  American Studies, Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, History, International Studies, Sociology, Women's Studies.
  • Fine Arts:  Art, Art History, Music (BA), Music Theatre, Theatre Arts, Theatre Dance.
  • Language Arts / Humanities: English, French, German Studies, Greek & Roman Studies, Hispanic Studies, Japanese Studies, Philosophy, Religion, Russian Studies, Spanish.
  • Natural Science / Mathematics: Biology, Chemistry, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Environmental Studies, Health, Mathematics, Physics.

Please note:  Candidate seeking the middle school social science endorsement should have additional courses across the specific social science disciplines indicated above. (Consult with your advisor).

Content Area Requirements

The state of Illinois specifies content area knowledge in the disciplines of Social Science, English Language Arts, Fine Arts, Natural Science, and Mathematics for all Elementary candidates (see the content area standards at http://www.iwu.edu/edstudies/isbe_standards/standards.shtml).  Passing the state content area test is a prerequisite for student teaching.  To enhance your performance in upper level curriculum courses, you are strongly recommended to take courses (including upper level) across the above noted disciplines prior to or concurrent with enrollment in upper level professional education courses.  In many cases, courses in your minor will help you meet content area requirements.  Consult with your advisor regarding appropriate course selection.

Middle School Endorsement Option

(Required for those who wish to teach departmentalized, or subject specific, grades 6-8.)

Middle school endorsement requirements are under review by both the Educational studies department and the State Board of Education.  Expect changes.  Consult with your Educational Studies advisor regarding your specific endorsement plans.

Candidates completing the IWU requirements for both an elementary certificate and a middle school endorsement are considered “highly qualified” upon passing the Elementary/Middle Grades test.

Educational Studies Course Requirement: Educ 260 Middle School Philosophy.

Discipline-specific Course Requirements:  In general, completing your minor requirement will qualify you for a middle school endorsement, with some exceptions noted on the following page.  Courses taken for general education, and for which you have earned AP credit, may also count toward endorsement requirements in some cases.  Transfer courses may be accepted with department approval.