First Year Leadership Institute:
The First Year Leadership Institute is an opportunity for first year students to get more involved with the IWU campus and learn the basics of leadership. Throughout the program, the students will have the opportunity to make connections with their fellow students, learn more about how they lead and what it means to be a leader, and receive support from the Office of Student Activities and Leadership programs. The First Year Leadership institute is a six-week program that starts off with a retreat on the Saturday of Turning Titan and includes 4-5 sessions that delve deeper into various leadership topics.
In aligning with our institutional mission, this program will provide a unique opportunity for only first year students to work on their leadership skills. This program will encourage your student to explore creativity, strengthen critical thinking, establish effective communication, and build their character.
First-Year Leadership Institute Sessions:
Retreat- On Saturday, August 24th there will be the kick-off retreat for the First Year Leadership Institute. At this retreat there will be teambuilding, general discussions about leadership, and a chance to meet members of the program and Class of 2017.
Training Sessions- There will be an array of sessions focusing on different areas of leadership, as well as the outcomes of the program. These sessions will last approximately 1.5 hours and be during the week. The First Year Leadership Institute sessions are scheduled for Tuesday at 4pm in Hansen Student Center room 200.
The specific outcomes of the program are as follows:
1. Participants will be able to create their own definition of leadership.
2. Participants will be introduced to and experience the process of reflection.
3. Participants will be able will be able to identify how their involvement relates to their values
4. Participants will be able to identify and articulate their values
5. Participants will be aware of how identity effects how they lead
6. Participants will understand the importance of having diverse experiences through inclusive practices on a team